PDA

View Full Version : Braille Script - What am I getting in to?

Scott Balboa
12-09-2009, 1:14 PM
I see several posts here regarding Braille Script and have been asked by my employer to look into the process.

I'm assuming it's not as easy as downloading/buying a Corel plug-in, engraving holes, and calling it good. Braille needs to be raised "bumps" from what I understand, and I'm also assuming there are strict guidelines as to the diameter, height, and spacing of these "bumps". I will do all the research myself, but I'm just trying to grasp the concept of the whole thing. From an engravers standpoint, what exactly am I looking at as far as the process and materials go? Any small hint of info would greatly help me determine if this is something we should even get in to....

Thanks Creekers!

George D Gabert
12-09-2009, 1:22 PM
There is a plug in for corel posted in the beginning of this forum. There has also been several threads about that subject in the last year. You will nee to use advanced search to find them using "Braille" as search criteria.

GDG

Dan Hintz
12-09-2009, 1:25 PM
Funnily enough, there's a sticky at the top of the page for a CorelDraw Braille plug-in... so yes, there is a plug-in. It was created by SMC's webmaster. You'll still need to put the balls in the holes, but the plug-in will at least allow you to type in plain text and get an ADA-compliant text line.

If you want to do everything yourself, there's plenty of info to Google for, but if you need to go "right now", the plug-in will probably be your best bet.

Scott Balboa
12-09-2009, 1:34 PM
Yes, I saw the Braille post in here before I posted mine...and I did some forum searching but I thought Creek could help me faster than a big Googling effort. I don't need to know what software/program to use, the ADA specs, or any of that stuff. My only real question is is this a 2-step (or longer) process where I need to engrave holes AND glue tiny balls in them? And what medium is generally used for these tiny balls? I'm assuming there is a standard thing everyone finds best.

Scott Balboa
12-09-2009, 1:52 PM
OK, found what I was after! You can delete this post Mr. Moderator.

Gary Hair
12-09-2009, 1:58 PM
Scott,
There are specific balls that are used and you can buy them by the 1,000's. The trick is the tool used to insert them. Unless you have a license with the company that patented one of the processes, you won't be able to get the tool - not easily anyway. The tool is in the $500 neighborhood, but looks to be WELL worth it. I just did a signage job and had another shop do the braille part, they were very reasonable and did a perfect job! The best part is that I didn't have to invest the time and tooling to do it myself.

If you want to buy the balls and do it yourself, the place I found is brailleballs.com. Nice folks there, very helpful.

Gary

Dan Hintz
12-09-2009, 2:08 PM
The balls are a dime a dozen (actually, quite a bit cheaper)... any acrylic ball of the appropriate diameter will do. McMaster Carr has them for about $10 per 500 balls.

Our illustrious leader, Keith, uses a tamper-proof torx bit (has a hole in the middle) to set the balls. Here's a useful thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58807

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2009, 2:57 PM
The "tool" Gary is talking about will run you $2,000 because you have to buy a package. They won't sell just the tool, that I am aware of. They will sell one to you if you already own the kit, but not if you don't.

I do believe that patent has either run out or is close to running out as well.

Scott Balboa
12-09-2009, 3:00 PM
I've just read through a slew of past Creek posts and learned what I need to know...

COULD be really profitable, if you're lucky, but between the expense (:eek:) and intensive labor it seems like an overall pain

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2009, 3:01 PM
It's far more easily done with a rotary engraver than the laser.

Dan Hintz
12-09-2009, 3:20 PM
What expense? Balls cost a penny a piece in bulk, and for <$100 you have a plug-in that takes care of the text conversion. It's a time-killer, I'll give you that, but it's certainly not expensive.

Keith Outten
12-09-2009, 4:35 PM
The tool I use for setting braille rasters now is a 2/32 nail set. You can buy them at Lowe's or any good hardware store for about 3 bucks. The nail set has a conical end that works better than using the Torx bit I was using awhile back.

Braileballs.com is where I order braille rasters, normally I order 44,000 at a time. I stock both the white and the clear acrylic braille balls.

You can speed weeks figuring out what to do and how to do it or you can order Aaron Koehl's Braille script for Corel Draw. He did all the programing for me and now sells a package that has everything you need........and it is super easy.

ADA signs are profitable and there is plenty of work. You need to invest some time establising and then streamling your fabrication techniques to get your time per sign down as low as possible.

I installed 300 ADA door signs in the last two weeks and a host of other signs in a commercial building. Its good to be busy :)

Gary Hair
12-09-2009, 5:48 PM
The "tool" Gary is talking about will run you $2,000 because you have to buy a package. They won't sell just the tool, that I am aware of. They will sell one to you if you already own the kit, but not if you don't.

I do believe that patent has either run out or is close to running out as well.

It can be had if you really wanted it... I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you...

Mark Winlund
12-09-2009, 7:51 PM
Scott,
There are specific balls that are used and you can buy them by the 1,000's. The trick is the tool used to insert them. Unless you have a license with the company that patented one of the processes, you won't be able to get the tool - not easily anyway. The tool is in the $500 neighborhood, but looks to be WELL worth it. I just did a signage job and had another shop do the braille part, they were very reasonable and did a perfect job! The best part is that I didn't have to invest the time and tooling to do it myself.

If you want to buy the balls and do it yourself, the place I found is brailleballs.com. Nice folks there, very helpful.

Gary

Pretty funny.... the "tool" can be made in about 30 minutes on a lathe. Conical shaped, with a hole through it. Connect the other end up to a cheap vacuum pump and it's done. Over the years, I've made quite a few. Very frequently used in machine shops (think very small ball bearings!) and clock repair to pick up tiny objects.

The idea that someone patented this old tool for ADA work is hilarious. Another advantage of this tool is that it will pick up just one ball at a time out of a jar full.

Tell you what: for $259.95 each, I'll make all you want, but you can only use it for picking up ball bearings! If you want to pick up ADA balls, then you've got to shell out $2000 to the other guy!!

Hey! Maybe I can patent a pair of pliers to pick nose hairs! I can corner the market for pliers!

Mark

Scott Shepherd
12-09-2009, 8:07 PM
Mark, have you seen the one's that are sold? They are very slick. I'd love to own one. For $500, I'd gladly own one. The guy that invented it sold the rights to the guy that owns it now from best I can tell. The original owner/inventor used to sell the rights for a very small amount. The guy that owns the patent now has made it a little prettier and it is a nice tool, which holds a sphere full of balls so you don't have to "pick up" anything.

Not suggesting any other method is better or worse, just marveling at how clever the actual tool is. It's a neat item. I just need the $500 tool, not the $1500 book of ideas it comes with.

Joe Pelonio
12-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Don't waste your time unless you are getting a good profit, a simple 8"x8" custom should get you $75-100. You can by massed produced molded plastic ones for $10 and sell them for $30 (Grimco, Tap plastics) but anything custom brings big bucks so it's worth the time, tedious as it may be.

Keith Outten
12-10-2009, 6:26 AM
I used one of the vacuum type braille insertion tools and I wouldn't trade my 3 dollar nail set for the thing. The tube makes it cumbersome, try holding that beast in your hands for hours, then there is the noise the pump makes.

I keep a small cup of water on my bench and dip the nailset into the water every few minutes. The adhesion the water provides is enough to allow the nailset to pickup the balls and holds them until they are inserted.

Sometimes low-tech is the best solution :)

Scott Shepherd
12-10-2009, 8:48 AM
I've never seen the one that uses the vacuum. The one I mention uses gravity and friction, gravity to feed, friction to hold, if I recall correctly.

Larry Bratton
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
I've never seen the one that uses the vacuum. The one I mention uses gravity and friction, gravity to feed, friction to hold, if I recall correctly.
I have one that uses the vacuum. It's works just fine, but if your going to do large jobs of braille, the insertion tool that holds multiple rasters would be better. It's just a small vacuum pump with a rubber tube and a hollow metal tube on the end. Turn it on, stick it to your raster supply and it picks up one. If you have drilled your holes to the proper tolerance, the raster friction fits into the hole and that's it. Repeat until finished.

Scott Shepherd
12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
This is the only one I have seen :

http://www.accentsignage.com/HowItWorks/Raster_Pen_flyer.pdf

Larry Bratton
12-10-2009, 5:15 PM
This is the only one I have seen :

http://www.accentsignage.com/HowItWorks/Raster_Pen_flyer.pdf
Right. I have had my Accent license a long time and when I got it, the vacuum thing was what I got. They have since come out with this tool. Vision mechanical engravers of recent vintage, incorporate a tool like this and actually insert the balls as the braille is punched. http://www.visionengravers.com/products/Vision-router-engraving-accessories.html#A1