PDA

View Full Version : Price for used Sawstop ICS

Christopher Morgan
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Hello, everyone.

I have heard about a SawStop ICS for sale locally. I would need to swap out the 3 phase motor for a single phase. The saw has four years of "moderate" use in a cabinet shop.

This is more saw than I need. But as with many things, I suspect that there is a point at which the price could be good enough that it is worth paying more than I wanted to for more than I need. But I am not sure what that price is. Of course, it partly has to do with re-sale value. And it partly has to do with how much the added benefits of the ICS are worth to me over a saw that is more in line with my budget and needs -- like, say, one of Grizzly's 1023S series.

Anyone have any thoughts about where the too-good-to-pass-up price might start on a saw like this for a hobbyist like me?

Thanks,

Christopher

Michael Schwartz
12-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I have worked in shops with the ICS and I own the fully loaded version of the contractor saw.

Other than the obvious safety features everything about these saws are well made, period. You pay more, and you get more and it is as simple as that. I replaced a jet cabinet saw with my SS contractor saw.

As far as a price, the new saws are about 4-5 grand and used equipment usually goes for 60+ percent in good condition. If the saw is 4-5 years old it should still be relatively brand new.

If your a hobbyist I would say to price out the Sawstop professional cabinet saw PCS with shipping, accessories etc... and see if you could get the ICS for the same price or less, including replacement motor. Otherwise the PCS would be more than you would ever need.

Gary Gleave
12-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I have just purchased a used 3ph Sawstop, and have this info from the excellent customer service at Sawstop
A 3hp motor from Sawstop is about $300, and will switch out with no other changes required. The 5hp motor from Sawstop is also Around $300, but you also need to change the connector box ($100) mounted in the base of the saw.

Christopher Morgan
12-09-2009, 5:26 PM
Thanks for the information. I found out that the seller wants around $2000. So that makes $2300-2400 with the new motor. Sounds like it could be a decent price, but still much more that I was planning to spend on a table saw. Add to that that I will need to run a new sub-panel out to the garage and things are getting pretty expensive (though I will need to do that no matter what saw I get.) I'm working with an old Rockwell contractor saw now that I inherited from my grandfather. I'm sure a nice cabinet saw would be a big step up, but then again perhaps I just lusting after nicer and nicer tools. I could probably get by upgrading some components and figuring out a dust collection solution. Decisions, decisions.

Barry Vabeach
12-09-2009, 8:22 PM
Chris, to make your decision tougher, the new PCS comes with above table dust collection that is really great. I suggest you get pricing on a new PCS, and the price for the above table dust collection for the ICS. If the ICS, with the cost of the replacement motor is less, get the ICS. If it isn't, I would go with the PCS. If you think you might be in a position that you might be selling it in a few years, go with the ICS, it will probably have a better resale value.

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2009, 8:41 PM
The ICS's new value is $4300. PCS new value is $2999. Just so you have an understanding of value. Sell the Rockwell.

John Coloccia
12-09-2009, 11:21 PM
$2000 for an ICS in good shape is a heck of a deal IMHO. You might want to try putting an ad and seeing if someone's willing to trade motors with you. I'm sure there's someone out there that's wishing they'd gone 3 phase. I'm pretty sure I paid more than that for my SS contractor saw by the time I was done adding cast wings and the long fence.

Alan Schwabacher
12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Another vote for the ICS at that price. Sawstop says the above the table dust collection will be available for the other Sawstop saws in January.

Don Bullock
12-10-2009, 9:32 PM
$2000 for an ICS in good shape is a heck of a deal IMHO. ...

That's a super deal. I wish I could have found one at that price.

Chris Nolin
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Chris, I would bet by this time you've already made your decision, but I found your thread just this morning. Last month, I bought a used 3hp 1ph ICS for just about the same price you're looking at, and I feel like I got an incredible deal. I was planning on buying a new PCS and was still saving the money when the deal came up on craigslist. Here's the thread that includes a picture.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=124211

Let us know what you decided! And I'd love to see your gloat afterwards if you buy it!

- Chris

Christopher Morgan
12-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I'm still working on it. Its more than we were planning on spending, but it looks like this would be worth a stretch.

I'll let you know (with a picture) if it all works out.

And thanks for idea about looking to trade the 3 phase for a single phase. If I do get the saw, I will look into that before buying a new one.

-- Christopher

Mike Delyster
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Chris:

I've had the industrial cabinet saw in my shop for just over two years now and love it. I would go with the used industrial cabinet saw if I where you, if you don't like it in a few years you could sell it for the same or more money than you paid for it. My industrial cabinet saw with 52" rails, mobile base, dado cartridge and insert came in at just over $4600.00 cdn, with that in mind I think you are being offered the saw at a fair price. I've never used the professional cabinet saw, but I'm sure that it is a great saw, but you would never get the new price back out of it if you decided to sell it down the road, if you plan on keeping it forever then maybe the professional cabinet saw should be considered it has redesigned dust control, a built in mobile base. If I was buying new I would now go with the professional cabinet saw, which would be more than enough saw for my needs (the professional model wasn't around yet when I purchased mine).

Mike

Bob Falk
12-20-2009, 8:24 PM
Found what I think was a pretty good deal on a 3 year old, very lightly used, 3hp, single phase, ISC.....$2200 with a 36" fence.....a comparable PCS would have been about $3200 new.....I am stoked.

Hope to add the new PCS dust collection when they come out for older model Sawstops as well as the mobile base.

I found this by doing a wanted ad in Craigslist. bob

Paul Ryan
12-20-2009, 9:53 PM
Bob,

The new guard for the PCS saw will already fit on the ICS saw. I have a PCS saw and just did a fairly extensive compairison between the shark guard and the new PCS guard. Lee sent me a shark guard that was designed for the ICS saw and it fit right on. NO changes. MY advice after using both guards is to buy the shark. The PCS guard is nice and does a good job at dust collection, but the shark is better. Easier to use, set the dust hoses, and beefier. If the sawstop guard is more than $150 I would buy the shark. If the PCS is under a $100 then I would really have to think about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=126839

heres a link to my review.

Frank Stolten
12-21-2009, 2:23 AM
A used ICS at $2,300 (Including replacement 3 hp motor) is a heck of a deal. I understand it may be more than you were planning to spend but once you get it in your shop and give it a workout, not to mention the obvious safety factor, you'll be totally satisfied with it. Plus, if you ever decide to sell it you should be able to get at least as much as you paid. Used SS's are still scarce and command a high price.

mreza Salav
12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
I think it's a very good deal for an industrial model.
They are bigger than the PCS model (the table is substantial and the saw is much heavier).
It's a very impressive saw all around and their customer support is equally good.
I bought a lightly used one a couple of months ago. It was a 3HP single phase with 52" fence/rail and a (non-sawstop) mobile base a good blade and a few extra goodies for $2900CAD. Still was a good price for me (given that the brand new one goes for close to $5k here).
I'd jump on it if I were you.

Richard Dragin
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm surprised there are this many used SS saws out there for sale.

Mike Heidrick
12-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Shops closing forces machinery sales.