PDA

View Full Version : Made in USA Pipe wrenches?

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2009, 12:20 AM
To keep it WW related lets say they are for pipe clamp extensions.

Who makes good made in the USA pipe wrenches?

Rick Fisher
12-09-2009, 12:48 AM
I think the real Rigid makes pipe wrenches.. Expensive, but good quality..

Any plumbing wholesaler will have them.

Mike Cruz
12-09-2009, 3:26 AM
This is great! I experience this about a month ago.

Go to your local HD.

Look at the Ridgid and Husky pipe wrenches (I mean pipe clamp extension bars) side by side.

They look almost EXACTLY alike. The differences are this:

*One the handle, the Ridgid says "Made In America"...the Husky doesn't. (Husky is made in China.)
*The Ridgid has a milled surface about 1/4" x 1" (IIRC) on the head in a spot that doesn't look like it makes a difference other that to look different than the Husky.
*The price! The Ridgid is almost (about a buck) twice that of the Husky.
*Ridgid comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Which one did I buy? I wanted to buy American. So I bought two pairs of Channel Locks! for what the one Ridgid pipe wrench costs. BTW, Channel Locks are Made In America. Also, I didn't NEED a pipe wrench. The CL's worked just fine for my application.

Seriously. Put them side by side and think of the show How It's Made. You can imagine them both coming of the same plant but one gets a stamp and a grind...which leads me to the next question (and show) How'd They Do That? when one is made in America and the other in China.

Lee Schierer
12-09-2009, 8:12 AM
Reed pipe wrenches are made right here in Erie, PA.....Reed (http://www.reedmfgco.com/index.html?screen=pipe_wrenches) Channellocks are made in Meadville, PA, I used to work there. They make a good pipe wrench type plier they call the nut buster.

David G Baker
12-09-2009, 9:09 AM
Mike,
Every time I see a Rigid pipe wrench at a garage sale that is in good condition I buy it. I have some foreign made pipe wrenches that chew up the pipe, don't grip and spin around the pipe.

Ed Labadie
12-09-2009, 9:39 AM
Picked up one of these a while back.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/RapidGrip-Wrench/EN/index.htm

I wouldn't use it on old frozen up pipe as it doesn't hold as well as an old school design wrench, otherwise its cats behind. No screwing around to find the right adjustment on the wrench. :p

Ed

Mike Heidrick
12-09-2009, 8:57 PM
Also, what are common homeowner sizes of pipe wrenches?

Chris Damm
12-10-2009, 7:08 AM
Also, what are common homeowner sizes of pipe wrenches?

12" and 18" will handle most everything for a homeowner. Buy the Ridgid and you will never have to replace them.

Al Willits
12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
This is great! I experience this about a month ago.

Go to your local HD.

Look at the Ridgid and Husky pipe wrenches (I mean pipe clamp extension bars) side by side.

They look almost EXACTLY alike. The differences are this:

*One the handle, the Ridgid says "Made In America"...the Husky doesn't. (Husky is made in China.)
*The Ridgid has a milled surface about 1/4" x 1" (IIRC) on the head in a spot that doesn't look like it makes a difference other that to look different than the Husky.
*The price! The Ridgid is almost (about a buck) twice that of the Husky.
*Ridgid comes with a lifetime guarantee.

Which one did I buy? I wanted to buy American. So I bought two pairs of Channel Locks! for what the one Ridgid pipe wrench costs. BTW, Channel Locks are Made In America. Also, I didn't NEED a pipe wrench. The CL's worked just fine for my application.

Seriously. Put them side by side and think of the show How It's Made. You can imagine them both coming of the same plant but one gets a stamp and a grind...which leads me to the next question (and show) How'd They Do That? when one is made in America and the other in China.

I'd bet they are made in China using specs off the Ridgid.
I've used pipe wrenches for over 30 years now and Rigid are a given, never had to use the warranty on any of them.

Probably not a concern with the average DIY's, but continued use of channel locks can and does lead to carpel tunnel (sp?) we see it happening in the older techs that used them a lot.

If I was gonna use it once, I'd buy cheap or borrow, if you plan on keeping and using them a bit, buy the Rigid, maybe check places like CL for used also.
Al

Mike Cruz
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, sorry, I probably should have clarified, but I was in the market for a one time application. Certainly, if you are in the need of a pipe wrench for long term use, then a pipe wrench is what you should get.

When you need to drive a nail, any hammer will do for a project that needs 12 nails driven. When you are a carpenter, you need a very specific one, likewise does a ferrier or upholsterer.

For long term use, the right tool for the right job is the best plan.

Which brings up an old philisophical question: When is a wrench not a wrench? When it is a hammer. (Some writer's liscense used...)

Anthony Scira
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
"Yeah, sorry, I probably should have clarified, but I was in the market for a one time application."

No such thing, in your journey through life it is always good to have a nice collection of tools. And a set of fine American made pipe wrench is the perfect thing to put in the stocking this year.

Lee Schierer
12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
[/B]
Probably not a concern with the average DIY's, but continued use of channel locks can and does lead to carpel tunnel (sp?) we see it happening in the older techs that used them a lot.

One of the reasons we (I no longer work there) designed the Nut Buster (never cared for that name) style pipe wrench at Channellock was that it had a cam action like a pipe wrench and you didn't have to squeeze the handles once you got a grip on the pipe and started turning it.
http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/images/414.jpg
However you could still get a grip on a fitting once you were no longer turning it unlike a pipe wrench.

Al Willits
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
One of the reasons we (I no longer work there) designed the Nut Buster (never cared for that name) style pipe wrench at Channellock was that it had a cam action like a pipe wrench and you didn't have to squeeze the handles once you got a grip on the pipe and started turning it.
http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/images/414.jpg
However you could still get a grip on a fitting once you were no longer turning it unlike a pipe wrench.

For years our company used the Wilde Pliers adjustable wrench, a few years back they went with the blue handles, they were much easier on the body, but I'd still use a pipe wrench if I was stringing pipe all day.

Either way, good wrench's and I have several of them :D
Al.

Mark Rios
12-11-2009, 1:40 PM
Snap-On pipe wrenches are also made in the U. S. I have a Snap-On 18" and 12" and the same sizes from Ridgid. I"ve found that the finish is a little better on the Snap-On (of course) but also that they also seem to have a better gripping surface. Could just be me though. However, any difference in performance between the two is minimal at best.

Robert Snowden
12-11-2009, 6:22 PM
Having work in the oil industry for many year's rigid is the #1 joice of most oilfield company's.

Rick Potter
12-12-2009, 2:03 AM
Just guessing, but that one that comes from China probably has lower grade steel and grinding, especially in the teeth. A pipe wrench that slips is not worth anything.

Rick Potter