PDA

View Full Version : Who spent too much on Dust Collection?

Jack Diemer
03-27-2003, 6:43 PM
Today, I was trying to give advice to someone on buying an entry level Dust Collection system and I came to the realization that most all of us who go through a pattern of upgrades. See if you have done the following.

1. Buy a 1 hp unit, maybe buy the good bags and a trash can lid. (Cost $150-$300)
2. Put some 4 in HVAC or PVC pipe all around the shop. (Cost $100-$300)
3. Buy an Air Filtration unit to get rid of the extra small Dust. (Cost $150-$300)
4. Sell the 1 hp unit (for $0.50 on the dollar, and Upgrade to a 1.5 or 2 HP unit and definitately buy the good bags. (Cost $300-$500)
5. Buy the Remote Control for the DC because it would be so cool to have. (Cost $70)
6. Either sell or use the motor from the 2hp unit and build or buy a nice cyclone. (Cost $400-$1200)
7. Dump the 4 in pipe and put in 6 in pipe with the high dollar fittings, so you can suck the crome off the top of your table saw. (Cost $300-$2500)
8. (Thanks to Bill Pentz) Upgrade the size of the motor and impeller so you can suck the chrome off your neighbors table saw. (Cost $200-$400)

I would love to poll each of you to see which of the above sins each of us has committed.

Garrett Lambert
03-27-2003, 6:55 PM
I did buy a 1 HP and did sell it, but at only 40¢ on the dollar. (After 10 years, however.)

At that point I decided to "do it right" and bought a 3 HP Delta 4 bagger - paying extra for the 1 micron bags - and ran 8" spiral pipe throughout the shop, dropping down in size to whatever the machine outlets were/are, usually 4". I didn't buy a remote, but did install switches at each blast gate complex connected to a 24v transformer and "definite contactor".

The system works well, but I think I might put bigger pipes or double pipes into some of the machines, eg the Unisaw and the Makita SCMS. I'm also tired of emptying bags and want a cyclone. I'm determined to build/buy one this year, but don't yet know whether I'll use the Delta or sell it and buy a purpose-designed impeller unit.

Cheers, Garrett

Dennis McDonaugh
03-27-2003, 7:53 PM
I bought a 2hp woodsucker and ran 6" mains right off the bat. I'd read too many posts lamenting the weak suction or the drudge of emptying the bags to go any other route. I "only" have about $900 in mine.

Brian MacDonald
03-27-2003, 8:01 PM
I bought the Woodsucker, plumbed with 6" and 4" PVC, installed a Jet AFS-1000 air filter.

I figure it totaled at around $1000-1100.

Stan Smith
03-27-2003, 9:41 PM
I have a jet 1100 and just hook it up to each machine. I also use it to vacuum the shop. I did have a little 1hp which I gave to a school shop. I have ordered the cannister with the filter setup. I also have an air filter which is going right now. I waited too long to empty the bag and had a helluva time getting that puppy off. Dust went all over the place too but at least I had wheeled it outside. So far I have held off putting in the duct work. Maybe someday....

Stan

Tony Laros
03-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Never had a dust collection system other than a shop vac. Now that I'm in a new shop and getting more equipment, I researched DC's and settled on an Oneida 2HP cyclone. Only one problem.....no Canadian distributor. I want to do it right the first time, so I may have to drive to Syracuse to get it.

Ed Marks
03-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmm, I skipped #1 and went straight to the Oneida 1.5hp cyclone. Granted at about 650+ it was about the same as buying a 1hp, selling it, and buying another later. I'm guilty of having a fair share of 4" SD pipe in the shop, but it's only me and it does manage to keep the chrome clean on the TS. (There is also a reasonable amount of 6 & 5" metal ductwork as well.)

I have recently considered moving some of the 4" SD duct work and replacing it with 5 and 6" metal or 6" SD. So far I've talked myself out of it by saying "it's not broke, don't fix it". However, I do plan to do something to the shop ceiling soon so one never knows.

Oh, and I would not live without the Penn State remote control.

Terry Hatfield
03-27-2003, 11:18 PM
OK Jack...you asked for it.....

1. Started with little bitty Hang up pro vac.

2. Bought bigger Ridgid shop vac that I moved around to the machines.

3. Bought one of those cheezy 2" clear plastic duct systems from Sears to plumb the vac to the machines.

4. Bought 1 hp. Griz and moved it from machine to machine.

5. Added some flex hose ducts so I didn't have to move the DC so much.

6. Bought Grizzly 2 hp. collector. Plumbed 4" flex to the machines. Sold 1 hp to buddy.

7. Plumbed Grizzly 2 hp. with 6" HVAC snap lock pipe. Made blast gates.

8. Bought PSI (supposed to be) 1 micron bags.

9. Replumbed part of the HVAC pipe system with 6"S&D with the ducts on the floor. Made more blast gates and hoods.

10. Replumbed with all 6" S&D and moved the ducts to the ceiling. Made more bast gates and hoods.

10. Built cyclone and replumbed again to fit the cyclone configuration. Made more hoods. Ended up in the cyclone business. Hmmm...how did that happen???

Notice I have not included the prices for all this because I don't want to think about it.:mad:

Wish I had known what I know now at the start. Oh well....

Terry

www.dusteliminator.com

jack duren
03-28-2003, 12:08 AM
no real sins yet. wanting to buy a shaper but smart enough to know ill need dust collection first. woodsucker is in the burner. but havent wore out the "broom" yet.

ya gotta get ya money out of these tools ya know. even a broom:D .....jack

Dave Arbuckle
03-28-2003, 10:32 AM
My system is similar to Stan Smith's.

Jet DC1100, and a ceiling mount air filter. The DC is roughly in the middle of the shop, moving a flex hose from machine to machine is no big deal. The whole shop is 20x20, a remote control hardly seems necessary. ;)

I did talk to the nice folks from American Fabric Filter last weekend, and will order a larger bag from them as soon as I find my round tuit.

Dave

Steve Clardy
03-28-2003, 10:53 AM
My duckwork is almost all in the concrete floor. I installed it before the floor was poured. The collector sits outside, not much noise. It has worked out real well. 6" main trunks, reduced to 4" coming through the floor. I made one mistake though, where my 20" planer sits. I didn't leave it 6", it is reduced to 4" also. Real blunder, as the planer has a 5" hood and hose. But the only time it plugs is when running pine, those long shavings will plug it up if you don't reduce the speed and depth of cut. One of these days when time permits I will cut the concrete there and bring the 6" pipe on up through the floor. Steve

Jim Becker
03-28-2003, 11:55 AM
First statement: There is no such thing as "too much dust collection".

Second statement: The most expensive tool purchase is the one you need to re-purchase one or more times because you didn't buy the right thing in the first place or bought "cheap" rather than "value".

Unfortunately, DC follows the same pattern as many other "tool" purchases which you detailed quite nicely. When we are new and uninformed, we don't necessarily buy the right things or underbuy for our true needs. The best solution to help others is to insure that we all help folks new to woodworking understand all the facts and options so that they can at least minimize the pain over time. These forums and various individual web sites like Bill's are an important part of that education.

Stan Smith
03-28-2003, 1:53 PM
I guess misery loves company. Just reading your posts helps me to commiserate.

Hey Dave Arbuckle. My system is the same as yours except I do have a remote. I got it from X10. they have a web site. Not that expensive Dave. I think I paid less than $30. I carry the remote in my pocket or set it next to the machine or even on it. Wouldn't be without that remote. My DC sits in the middle, too (20 x24 shop), I think I only have a 10' hose and only roll the dc maybe 5'. That being said. It would be nice to have it outside of the shop. I did order the new Jet cannister but it may not ship until may.

Jim Becker
03-28-2003, 2:03 PM
Stan, SmartHome has/had the older version of the keyfob X-10 remotes available for $2.99...including the batteries. I have them at each major workstation location so I don't have to carry one around! (I got tired of finding it in my pocket in the house...)