PDA

View Full Version : Does it bother anyone else?

Mike Cruz
12-08-2009, 11:36 PM
There is a commercial for the DROID (a cell phone, plus) that brags about its beauty, speed, and easy of use among other things. In the commercial, they make a reference to it as being as easy as slicing a warm banana with a circular saw. BUT, if I saw correctly, the saw they use is a table saw!

Now, I know we, here on this and any other WW forum, are in the minority of the population that can tell the difference between the two, but HOW does that get by the people who make, edit, produce, and distribute the commercial?

That would be like talking about elk and showing a moose. AAAAH, its a horned deer...whatever! Um, no, they are antlers, not horns....aaaaaand they are quite different.

Anyway, each time I've seen the commercial, I wonder if any of you guys noticed it, too.

And NO, I don't have my P's in a bunch. Just struck my "bothers me" bone.

Glen Butler
12-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Maybe I take my knowledge for granted, but I tend to think most people know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. So I can see how this would strike your "bothers me" bone. Heck, it may even be OK to have your panties in a bunch over it.

Rick Moyer
12-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, technically a table saw IS a circular saw, as opposed to a reciprocating saw.

Mike Henderson
12-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Advertising people don't feel bound by the truth. When I was working, I saw an ad for a technical conference in New Orleans and they had a picture of a chef ladling out some gumbo. But in the text they referred to it as jambalaya.

I sent them a polite note and explained the difference between gumbo and jambalaya and received a response saying that they just felt that the word "Jambalaya" sounded better, so that's what they used. I suppose they felt that most of the world didn't know what gumbo or jambalaya was, so the advertising people could call it what they wanted.

I can picture one of the attendees going to a NO restaurant and ordering jambalaya and being surprised by what was served.

Mike

Glen Butler
12-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, technically a table saw IS a circular saw, as opposed to a reciprocating saw.

Yet you know everyone here would give you completely different answers if you asked how to set the 45 degree stop on your circular saw. They would ask, "Is it Dewalt, Milwaukee, Makita." Not "Is it Jet, Powermatic, or Delta."

Joe Wiliams
12-09-2009, 1:13 AM
Anyone know how to get good reception on a Radio Arm Saw?:rolleyes:

Glen Butler
12-09-2009, 1:20 AM
Mine is a Radio Alarm Saw. Just have to mess with the dial, and slap it a couple times.

Jim Becker
12-09-2009, 7:57 AM

Exactly. Any saw that has a round blade that rotates to cut is a "circular saw". That said, in general use, most folks, when they hear "circular saw" see in their mind a hand-held tool, rather than a stationary machine.

John Coloccia
12-09-2009, 8:02 AM
So a dremel with a cutoff wheel is now a circular saw?
:confused: :rolleyes:

:D

Lee Schierer
12-09-2009, 8:09 AM
As noted advertising people don't seem to feel bound to properly research their subject matter, it's all about glitz and making an ad that the advertiser thinks will sell his product.

Look at all the myths surrounding honey bees. They don't live in round ball shaped hives hanging from trees, nor do the males do any work in the hive per the Disney movie and if they sting you the die, they don't recover in a hospital. And wasps, even those that sound like Ricardo Monteban, don't go to flowers..

I would bet that a survey of 100 random people in any shopping mall would show that at least 70% don't know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. Both have round blades therefore they are circular...

Mitchell Andrus
12-09-2009, 8:18 AM
I would bet that a survey of 100 random people in any shopping mall would show that at least 70% don't know the difference between a circular saw and a table saw. Both have round blades therefore they are circular...

Even my mother knows that you use a table saw to make tables and a circular saw makes round holes. Geeesh!

Edit.... actually, that's pretty close to the truth if you consider a 4" hole cutting saw on the end of a drill, huh?

Gene Howe
12-09-2009, 8:30 AM
Well, that settles it! I won't be buying a DROID from anybody that doesn't know the difference.

BTW, what's a Droid?:)

Alan Zenreich
12-09-2009, 8:37 AM
I saw R2D2, a circular droid in Star Wars

Kenneth Whiting
12-09-2009, 8:43 AM
I would agree that most people would not know the difference. My FIL to-be refers to his miter saw as a table saw on a regular basis. When I found out he was researching dado blades I was thinking he wanted to put them on his miter saw. This time I was wrong. He was trying to find a set for his circular saw. It scares me a little every time I see him heading to the garage.

John Coloccia
12-09-2009, 9:35 AM
Why can't we just go back to calling them buzzsaws?

Lee Schierer
12-09-2009, 9:50 AM
Why can't we just go back to calling them buzzsaws?

I don't think anyone would confuse a buzz saw with a table saw....http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/D/Robert.J.Dougherty-1/nebraska/img12.jpg I watched my Dad and Grandfather work one of these off a PTO on a tractor. Pretty scary, but it got the job done with a lot of noise

Rob Young
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Advertising people don't feel bound by the truth.

Mike

I nominate this for one of the 10 best sentences of 2009!

Mike Cruz
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I LOVE you guys. Reading all these posts just got me out of a real funk. OMG, I'm still laughing...thanks.

Jim Rimmer
12-09-2009, 2:03 PM
I LOVE you guys. Reading all these posts just got me out of a real funk. OMG, I'm still laughing...thanks.
+1 - on an otherwise blah day thi thread has been a good laugh.

Jim Rimmer
12-09-2009, 2:04 PM
+1 - on an otherwise blah day this thread has been a good laugh.