PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby thin fluted parting tool....Anybody got one?

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I have wanted a thin parting tool for sometime. My very generous MIL gave a cash gift for Christmas and I feel obligated to buy a turning tool with the money. Mom hordes my turnings! Bless her!

I was looking at Amazon through the Creek portal and noticed they have a Sorby 2mm fluted parting tool. Anybody have and use one?

Thanks in advance!

Brian Brown
12-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Ken.
I have one, and like it. Very fast and easy to sharpen. Aggressive, sometimes can be too aggressive because the points on the outside of the flute are so sharp. The only real problem is that the flute doesn't leave good flat surfaces when it cuts. It leaves two grooves. No problem for actual parting, but for making a tennon like on a pen, it doesn't work so well.

Keith Harrell
12-09-2009, 9:44 AM
It cuts nice as a parting tool which is why I got it. It can get very close to the bottom of the bowls. It does want to clog up with wet wood sometimes but is very easy to clear. I haven't sharpen it yet

Paul Atkins
12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
I have one that came with a bunch of tools I got, but I haven't used it! I guess I'll have to try it and let you know. Seemed that the cutting edge was very high centered and I passed over it, but that was just my first look.

Ken Garlock
12-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Good morning Ken.

I have the Sorby 1/16 in. parting tool and it is a winner. The blade is made of high speed steel and will stay sharp. I had it catch on a mounting screw once. The screw didn't hurt the tool, but the tool left a dent in my Robust tool rest.:eek:

I think you will be happy with it.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2009, 1:15 PM
Go for it Ken. I have one and love it. I also use it to make beads inside of small lidded boxes. Saw that when Cindy Drozda demo.

Dan Forman
12-09-2009, 4:52 PM
I have one too, and like it a lot, cuts much better than my slightly wider thin but unfluted parting tool.

Dan

Ryan Baker
12-09-2009, 8:56 PM
I was just looking at that one. I think I am about to order one. I have another thin parting tool but the short handle drives me nuts.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-13-2009, 9:25 PM
I just ordered the Sorby thin fluted parting tool. My MIL said "Merry Christmas". Thanks Mom!

Ryan Baker
12-13-2009, 9:31 PM
I just picked one up a couple days ago with the 20% Rockler discount. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it should be a nice tool.