PDA

View Full Version : 2.5" shop vac hose, anything better?

mark kosse
12-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Seems like the 2.5" hoses I've had have all cratered on me. Mine (2)were sears and I have holes all along them and they really weren't used all that much. I did a brief search but its always better to ask those who know.

Jim Rimmer
12-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I've had my Sears shopvac for 20+ years and have used it a lot and don't have any holes in the hose. Is there some task that you do that abrades the hose or snags it on something? HD has replacement hoses that will fit the Sears and obviously Sears sells them but it sounds like you are looking for something better.

Matt Meiser
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
I've not worn a hole in a standard shop vac hose either, but I do really like the Ridgid premium hose that Home Depot sells for about $40. Its similar to a Festool hose.

mark kosse
12-08-2009, 10:59 PM
No, they have just cracked in the valleys, which makes them extremly hard to fix I might add. Maybe it is from inactivity, not use. I'll check out those premium hoses.

glenn bradley
12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I have a 25' Ridgid hose on my Ridgid vac. I don't know that they're extra tough but, I've been dragging it around the shop for 5 years and no holes.

Brian D Anderson
12-09-2009, 7:57 AM
The hose that came with my crapsman shop vac got all crimped and broken near the connector. I went to Sears and they have a replacement hose that is more rubber than plastic. It's a "heavy duty" replacement. Mine is gray, rather than the normal black plastic. I'm not sure if they still have them, but take a look.

You can kind of see it here:

http://www.jfreitasphotography.com/Temp/IMG_8960.jpg

-Brian

Dan Forman
12-09-2009, 4:43 PM
The nice flexible hose from Rigid unfortunately is significantly smaller in diameter as the original Rigid hose. Incidentally, I think they named the company after the latter. It certainly is rigid, and a real PIA to deal with. Wish they had made the upgrade the same size as the stock one.

Dan

Joe Scharle
12-09-2009, 5:07 PM
Look for the Rigid orange hose.

Gary Sutherland
12-09-2009, 5:16 PM
About 6 years ago I bought 25' of "Crush-Resistant Flexible Polyethylene Vacuum Hose" from McMaster Carr. Pricey, at 6.85 per foot, but by far the best Shopvac hose I've ever used. No crushing or holes, and extremely flexible. I'ts sold by the foot and uses screw on end fittings.

Seemed silly expensive, but at the time I was sick of fighting with the traditional vac hoses, and I've sure gotten my moneys worth from it over the years. It has actually outlasted two vacuums.

Gary

Michael McDonald
12-09-2009, 8:30 PM
The Ridgid hoses are great and they are made by Mr Nozzle: http://www.mrnozzleinc.com/home_vachoses_page.php
You can find them around the internet, including Amazon.

Mac McQuinn
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I believe Woodcraft is carrying the Mr. Nozzle product....If your close to one you could check it out in person. Also I believe Lee Valley might be stocking this....

Mac

mark kosse
12-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Todd Hyman
12-10-2009, 5:03 PM
I believe Woodcraft is carrying the Mr. Nozzle product....If your close to one you could check it out in person. Also I believe Lee Valley might be stocking this....

Mac

Both Woodcraft and Rockler carry this. You can use the 20% coupon from Rockler of the $10 off $20 from Woodcraft is you live near one. There is also free shipping right now.

Dave Lewis
12-12-2009, 7:21 AM
I bought a 3 meter Bosch hose that connects portable sanders to a dust cyclone ductwork.

As I recall, Bosch offers different diameter ends to fit specific ports.

stan c leonard
07-21-2011, 7:52 AM
The Ridgid hoses are great and they are made by Mr Nozzle: http://www.mrnozzleinc.com/home_vachoses_page.php
You can find them around the internet, including Amazon.

If I had not have found your blog, I would never have found where to buy a 25’ hose for a Ridgid WD1450 shop vac. Even Ridgid and their wholesalers couldn’t tell me.

Mr. Nozzle makes 24’ hose kits and distributes them to the U.S. & Canada through Lee Valley retail stores, which I had never heard of. They have a store in my city.
These hoses are really well made and can be used for Ridgid vacuums. They also sell the different sized adapters that fit Ridgid and Craftsman measurements.
:) Thank you very much for your blog which I found through a Google search.

Joe Angrisani
07-21-2011, 8:55 AM
.....Mr. Nozzle makes 24’ hose kits and distributes them to the U.S. & Canada through Lee Valley retail stores.....

I have a Lee Valley/Veritas hose on my shop vac. Very nice. Good price. Smooth interior. I think it's the smooth interior that makes the biggest difference and from what I saw caused quite a performance increase on a plain ol' "Lowe's Black Friday Special" ShopVac.

Tom Blank
07-25-2011, 8:55 PM
If you don't need 25' of hose, the 10' Shop Vac #90134 is a pretty decent 2 1/2" hose - even has swivels on both ends. Is is way more flexible than the one that came on my Craftsman vac.

Tom

Joe Angrisani
07-25-2011, 9:45 PM
If you don't need 25' of hose, the 10' Shop Vac #90134 is a pretty decent 2 1/2" hose - even has swivels on both ends. Is is way more flexible than the one that came on my Craftsman vac.

The Lee Valley hose kits that I described above come in 12' and 24'.