PDA

View Full Version : Can someone check a file for me ?

Anthony Scira
12-08-2009, 9:50 PM
Having problems importing a file created in Photograv into Corel. I can inport tif files but for some reason the ones exported out of Photograv I get an "unsupported tag value" error.

I just reinstalled Photograv and its not activated yet as their online activation seems to be down. That may be a possible cause.

If someone can check if they get the same results that would be awesome!

Looks like it has to be a zip file since tif is not supported.

Joseph B. Chritz
12-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I got the same error, but if you right click on the file and then click on edit it opened in Microsoft Paint.
You can then save as what ever format you like and it seems to work.

Allen Isakson
12-09-2009, 6:07 AM
opened right up in my photograv. Looks good

James Jaragosky
12-09-2009, 8:39 AM
opened right up in my photograv. Looks good
You can choose save your photoGrav creations as a different file format.
When you are ready, choose the save as option. There you will find a drop down menu that will allow you to choose a file format that Corel or your laser will like better.

I am confused as to why you would need to open a photograv processed file in Corel.
All work should be done in Corel before using photograv. Making changes after you process in photoGrav will seriously affect the quality of your image, even resizing should not happen after you process in photoGrav.
Regards
Jim J

Dan Hintz
12-09-2009, 9:17 AM
I am confused as to why you would need to open a photograv processed file in Corel. All work should be done in Corel before using photograv. Making changes after you process in photoGrav will seriously affect the quality of your image, even resizing should not happen after you process in photoGrav.
James,

You're assuming the entire file is just raster. Some really nice ornaments, for example, can be made by placing a rastered image within a vector-based project. For those, dragging a processed image back into Corel is commonplace.

James Jaragosky
12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
James,

You're assuming the entire file is just raster. Some really nice ornaments, for example, can be made by placing a rastered image within a vector-based project. For those, dragging a processed image back into Corel is commonplace.
Good Point. I am just starting to master cutting on my machine. I have two years using a raster only mindset. So this had not occurred to me.

So the processes is.

Photo touch-up and resizing (in your favorite photo program)
Save as a bitmap
Import to PhotoGrav
Save as Bitmap again
Import to Coreldraw
Add vectors
Print to laser

Is this correct?

Dan Hintz
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Sounds about right, though I personally skip steps 2-4 and go right to inserting it into CD. I'm quite happy with how my images turn out without PG, which cuts down on the steps I need to worry about, as well as allowing me to still change the image without have to reprocess.

Martin Boekers
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
It may not be the quickest or the best, but that's the way I do it!

Marty

Anthony Scira
12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Joseph - I can't modify the file in anyway. From what I understand the Tiff can not be re-sized or modified in any way.

Allen - It opens fine in Photograv, its more on the Corel side.

James - I have always just processed the bitmap or jpg and taken the resulting tiff file and imported it and replaced the original file. Is there an easier way I am missing ?

Since I needed this done quickly I played around in Lightroom and engraved with the Brighten dithering on the Epilog driver. I think I am going to sell my copy of Photograv.

James Jaragosky
12-09-2009, 3:17 PM
Joseph - I can't modify the file in anyway. From what I understand the Tiff can not be re-sized or modified in any way.

Allen - It opens fine in Photograv, its more on the Corel side.

James - I have always just processed the bitmap or jpg and taken the resulting tiff file and imported it and replaced the original file. Is there an easier way I am missing ?

Since I needed this done quickly I played around in Lightroom and engraved with the Brighten dithering on the Epilog driver. I think I am going to sell my copy of Photograv.
Anthony, I have laser engraved many Photos in wood using PhotoGrav .
It is simple to use and in many cases, no other photo touchup work is needed.

My step-by-step procedure is as follows.
1.Import the photo file into CorelPaint
2.Do any modifications, resizing, lighten, darken, or contrast work.
3.Save your modified photo as a Bitmap
4.Open PhothGrav, imput your machine settings, and choose a material.
5.Open your Bitmap file
6.I use Interactive mode settings to increase the enhance Edges to around 18%.
ˇIf you have the auto preview box set, you will see the results automatically if not hit the preview button.
7.If you like what you, see press the Final Process Button
ˇYou will be asked if you want to save the image. press yes
ˇthe next screen will give you the option to give the file a unique name (I leave the file name alone)
ˇUnder the field where you can change the file name you have the option to save the file in a number of formats. I use the Microsoft Bitmap or (bmp.) format See the attached Image.
8.Save the file
9.At this point your photo is ready to raster or import to Coreldraw and add vectors if that is needed.
10.while in Corel Do not resize or alter the PhotoGrav part of the file in anyway, this will seriously affect the quality of your finished product.
11.Export or Import to your laser and print.

I realize that most of what I have posted here you may already know. But I hope that you find something here that may help.
Jim J