PDA

View Full Version : 24 grit hook and loop sanding discs

Prashun Patel
12-08-2009, 9:45 PM
Anyone know where to get these for a ROS? The only one I can find is from Festool. I have a Bosch.

Jim Watts
12-08-2009, 9:50 PM
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/cgi-bin/1A0155EC/mac/qryitems.mac/itemDisplay?qryType=STYLE&itemSt=VD5001ZK&coreDsc=5%22%20ALUMINA%20ZIRCONIA%20H%26L%20DISCS% 2050PK

Brian Effinger
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Have you tried Klingspor's? They seem to have everything sanding related.

Although, wouldn't a chainsaw be faster! :p

Rich Engelhardt
12-10-2009, 1:04 AM
This may sound odd - but - after going through two 30 packs of 36 grit using my Porter Cable ROS, I'd suggest that rather than look for anything coarser, look instead at a more aggressive sander.

A lot depends on exactly what it is you're doing that requires such a coarse grit?

FWIW - 36 grit disks don't last all that long. I was averaging about 2 sq. feet of surface per disk.
It gets expensive real quick if you have a lot of surface to do.

For the record, I was using the ROS to remove 50 year old construction adhesive the previous home owner had used to apply cork panels to a wall with.

Re: the odd part. I also used a B&D (~ $20.00 from WalMart) 1/3 sheet sander which worked much, much better. The only problem with it was the dust it generated - which is why I switched to the PC. The fine dust was killing the B&D & I needed it for some work later down the road.
Even though the dust was killing the PC, I really didn't care. I hate that sander & the sooner it dies the better.

Kyle Iwamoto
12-10-2009, 7:53 AM
Just an idea. Belt sander? The good belts last a long time.... 80 grit takes off a lot of wood real fast.

Derek Gilmer
12-10-2009, 7:58 AM
I'll second the belt sander. We recently refinished a kitchen for church but had to peel up the formica that was there already. About half the glue was still on the wood. My trusty belt sander and some 56 grit belts ate through it in a hurry :D

Prashun Patel
12-10-2009, 8:52 AM
Thanks for the link, Jim.

I'm making a scooped seat for a rocking chair. I used a carbide grinding wheel on a 4" angle grinder to 'carve' the seat. Worked like magic. The problem is that the seat needs to be smoothed. My ROS seems like the right fit and hardness for de-bumping. I ran it with 60gt, and it doesn't make much impact.

The plans I'm following (by Charles Brock) call for smoothing with 24gt on a Festool Rotex.

I'm thinking to use a curved scraper.