PDA

View Full Version : Design Opportunity Strikes Again

Richard Madison
12-08-2009, 8:14 PM
There I was thinning the shoulder to neck area to a perfect 1/8" thickness when I lost my focus for about 3 milliseconds, and the wall thickness instantly became zero. Quickly realized that what I really wanted to make was a lidded vessel, not another same old hollowform. Parted off the offending area and continued with the real plan. Mimosa body with mesquite lid (M&M) about 10" tall, both pieces end grain, pith centered. House is full of stave and segmented and not selling, so am still working on form, slowly but slowly. C&C welcome.

Edit: The sides look awfully straight in the picture even though they are slightly curved. Note to self- more curvature so the sides do not look straight.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2009, 8:23 PM
Ah yes - the design opportunity! Could have just turned a ring out of the mesquite and then added your lid back to the form.... but I like what you have created!

You already have my critique notes on the curve issue - so I will just say that I really like your finish!

Nice work! Glad you excel at being so creative!

David E Keller
12-08-2009, 8:24 PM
I like it. It's pretty wood with a nice finish. I see the curve in the sides pretty well, and I like the overall proportions. I hope that you amputated the top before hollowing the entire thing... that would seem easier than doing it at the end.

Robert McGowen
12-08-2009, 8:50 PM
Quickly realized that what I really wanted to make was a lidded vessel,

Seems like it would have been easier hollowing if you started out with the larger opening instead of hollowing it and THEN making the large opening. I guess I must still be new to hollow forms........ :eek:;):rolleyes::):p

Seriously though, your form looks spot on and I have to come by for lacquer spraying lessons one day. Your finishes always look great.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-08-2009, 9:44 PM
Richard
Welcome to the club. Don't beat yourself up over it. All of the turners I know have all had unscheduled design changes from time to time.:D

Ryan Baker
12-08-2009, 9:46 PM
Don't you just love those design opportunities? I created a design opportunity for myself just a couple days ago. Bummer.

Nice redesign though. The lid looks good. No one will ever know. Pretty piece of wood too.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Really nice looking vase. Nice design.

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Beautiful vase! Excellent example of a great recovery!

Bill Bolen
12-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Cool lidded vessel! I've done the same but must admit that I am not as quick on my feet as you (the real original thought was not a HF). Being old and slow I just say oops, a design opportunity...Bill..

Richard Madison
12-09-2009, 9:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your generous comments. I appreciate your support.

Actually most of the hollowing was already done before the "loss of focus" event. Must remember to start with the large opening next time.

Lacquer not quite as easy as wipe-on, but pretty close. You can "build" as little or as much as you want. Always use gloss, as it is harder material than semi or satin. For a "softer" look you can cut it back with 0000 steel wool or wet sand with very fine grade.

Thanks again y'all.

charlie knighton
12-09-2009, 9:35 AM
the finished product is very nice, one day i will tell you the storry of the vessel i named Scream , i was happy with the finished look but it was *&$#@ getting there :D

Richard Madison
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Thanks Charlie. Don't recall exactly what I said at the time, but am pretty sure it was ok for children to hear, except for that one word.

Sean Hughto
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Wonderful shape! I also like how the design and colors harken back to old ceramic crockery jugs with the brown glaze on the top.

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2009, 12:28 PM
You made a nice save. I like the darker color lid, it accents the grain in the vessel.

Richard Madison
12-09-2009, 7:52 PM
Thanks Sean and Rob. I appreciate your replies.