PDA

View Full Version : A smooth curve and no foot.

Baxter Smith
12-08-2009, 8:09 PM
Not sure if this should be a new thread as it relates to one previously started, but I wanted to try and make sure that those who made suggestions yesterday saw they were appreciated and attempted. If it should have been added on to the previous thread, someone please speak up!

Went back to the shop this morning with Bill Grumbines DVD and a printout of your responses as a reminder. Will include some pictures of what I started with and the steps along the way just because I have them. Was never sure when the evidence of your advice might become scrap!

Selected the roughout on the left as I felt I had a better chance of following your suggestions.

The next several are steps along the way. I attempted to try and forget about the inside(within reason because of thickness) and form a shape I liked on the outside. Previously I really had been just trying to get the outside smooth so I would have more wood left for potential screw ups on the inside. After putting the bowl in the chuck I made a feeble attempt to try and clean up some of the tearout following the technique on the Grumbine DVD. It may have improved it a little! Could have continued but I didn't want to push my luck!

I think I smoothed up the inside a little more than shown after taking this picture but can't seem to get a smooth continuous push cut on the inside all the way to the bottom. Don't dare take enough bite to start with because of thickness or my hand seems to jamb up on the tool rest. I start with my hand against the tool rest for support and control but then it is hard for me to loosen up my deathgrip enough for the tool to slide forward smoothly. Only had 3/16th wall thickness left in spots to start with after shaping the outside and after getting down to an 1/8 remembered something to the effect of "Thats close enough for 80 grit." So if its good enough for Bill....

The bottom of the bowl got shortened and widened a bit due to me thinking "This is going to look good" while I should have been paying attention. I started to sand away the evidence but "why not show it all!" Then I got heavy handed parting it off and away it flew. Luckily, just into the cardboard box as I had a screen over the dust port. Otherwise - one less Christmas present!

I will try to implement some of your other suggestions as well. Just went with the first ones first.

Bob, I can picture the carved feet I think. Just can't picture me doing it! About all I whittle is kindling for the woodstove.

Any suggestions are always welcome. I can still see a slight flatness to the curve about halfway up the sides.

Thanks,

Baxter

David E Keller
12-08-2009, 8:20 PM
Wow, I really like the direction you're headed. I think your latest bowl is a tremendous jump from your previous post. I like the base to rim proportions a lot better. I can see from looking at the rough-outs that you are a little limited in what you can do with some of them. Great job. I hope you keep posting them... It will be fun for you to look back after 6 months or a year and see how your style has developed.

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2009, 8:29 PM
Baxter - I like your finished bowl! Nice curve! Works for me!

Thomas Canfield
12-08-2009, 9:54 PM
Baxter,

Looks like you got the hang of finishing the bottom. Looks good. That should pass the test of not showing how it was attached to turn. Now let us see some more.

Richard Madison
12-08-2009, 9:56 PM
Baxter,
Well done and nice piece! Smooth, continuous curvature all the way to the bottom, and nicely radiused bottom edge. Proud of you.

The interior is always more difficult. Keep working on tool presentation and you will get there.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Really nice bowl Baxter. I like the bottom. Really makes the bowl. Well done.

Dan Forman
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Excellent, big improvement I think.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Excellent NE Baxter! You've come a long ways!

Baxter Smith
12-08-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for your encouragement and advice! Glad you liked the bottom. You almost didn't get to see it after that catch. After I trimmed off the tenon there was an 1/8" left between the very slight recess and inside bottom. Got lucky!
Your comments are appreciated and I will try some of your other suggestions soon.

Thanks,

Baxter

Bill Bolen
12-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Whoa Baxter! That is gorgeous. I really love your form on the last pic. I too enjoy NE bowls and am impressed!...Bill...

George Morris
12-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Now that is a very nice curve and Bowl. Great work! G

Rob Cunningham
12-09-2009, 8:42 AM
That came out really well. Nice curve from top to bottom.

Jim Kountz
12-09-2009, 7:23 PM
Baxter you have some nice looking curves there!! Nice job!!

Dennis Ford
12-09-2009, 8:14 PM
Good job, it came out great!