PDA

View Full Version : The SNOW is falling! In southern MN

Paul Ryan
12-08-2009, 7:36 PM
It appears the weather terrorists have me starting to believe them. Apparently we are in for the worst blizzard since 1996. At the moment we have gotten about 4" and it is 15 degrees outside. The lastest and greatest terrorist updated his forcaste to 6-12 by the tiime it is done. Well hum.... seems to me this science of meterology is more like medicine it is more of a practice than anything. We have also been warned that during the next upcomming hours we will get more snow and the winds will start blowing up to 50mph. And to top it all of the temp will drop to -0. So sounds like a blizzard to me. But since we have been scared out of our wits from the terriorists in the past. What is the general consensus, is this the storm of all stoms?

Kent A Bathurst
12-08-2009, 8:03 PM
Nope. Don't worry. Doesn't look like a problem at all..........from here in Atlanta :)

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2009, 8:18 PM
Paul - been snowing here since about 4 pm. They are predicting around 18+ inches with winds 20 - 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. They also say this will be the worst storm in 30 years.... well, we'll see about that.

Once winter hits this area, 6" a day in snow is considered a dusting. You get used to the snow but I still have a hard time getting used to -0* temps. Get frost bite a few times and it changes your whole outlook on winter - no matter how pretty everything looks!

Robert Parrish
12-08-2009, 8:40 PM
No problem here either, it's 81 outside!!

Dennis McGarry
12-08-2009, 8:40 PM
Paul - been snowing here since about 4 pm. They are predicting around 18+ inches with winds 20 - 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph. They also say this will be the worst storm in 30 years.... well, we'll see about that.

Once winter hits this area, 6" a day in snow is considered a dusting. You get used to the snow but I still have a hard time getting used to -0* temps. Get frost bite a few times and it changes your whole outlook on winter - no matter how pretty everything looks!

BUT that is great snowmobile weather and area!!!

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2009, 8:45 PM
Yup - a lot of folks like to ride up here! Personally, I'm more into the snowshoe/quite time in the woods but we get a lot of snowmobile traffic here in the winter.

Paul Ryan
12-08-2009, 8:58 PM
I have been to the UP snowmobiling 3 times. It was great I still miss riding sleds when we get snow. I sold them 2 decembers ago now, due to lack of snow. I got sick up have a month to get 3 months worth or riding in, or haveing to haul them 3,4 & 500 miles to ride for the weekend. Some day I will buy a couple again, when my kids get older. I don mind the cold, but never have had frost bit. We had almost the same type of weather last year. A bunch of snow in Dec then nothing the rest of the winter. By the middle of Jan there wasn't enough to ride on. Then we get a pile in March again but by then the 30 degree temps take the fun out of snowmobiling. The sleds like it when it is about 0 to -10 they run real good at -10 lots of power. But at 30 they are sluggish unless you re-jet. And I get sweaty it isn't as much fun. We will see what this storm brings.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-08-2009, 9:20 PM
Snow in MN???? Say it isn't so!!!

:)

Stephen Pereira
12-08-2009, 9:33 PM
You guys have all the luck..send that snow up north. We need snow to keep the frost from going too deep.

John Oothoudt
12-08-2009, 9:40 PM
yes it is...I got home from work tonight and moved the tractor into the heated shop so it would be ready to move snow at 5:30 am, and realized i was out of diesel fuel so back to town for some fuel, the roads are blowing clear accept by the groves where drifts are a foot or two now, and visibiilty was about 75 yards. could get nasty if wind comes up more tonight., not too bad yet. although it looked like all the town folk had closed up shop.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-08-2009, 9:54 PM
sounds U-G-L-Y. Stay safe.

Joe Pelonio
12-08-2009, 10:00 PM
It's supposed to be cold there, not so much here. This morning when I left for work it was 13, currently it's 19 and dropping, supposed to hit about 10 or less tomorrow. Dry at least, but snow is predicted for the weekend.

ROY DICK
12-09-2009, 7:49 AM
It snowed last week here in Dallas. By the time I got my snow broom started, it had melted. :D

Roy

Roger Newby
12-09-2009, 8:03 AM
We had ten inches here in SE Nebraska yesterday and now we have 35-40 mph winds and about 8 degrees actual temp. I can't even get out of the driveway and what's worse....I can't get to the shop!!:eek::mad:

Al Navas
12-09-2009, 8:34 AM
This morning:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/snow-day.jpg

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/our-grill.jpg

And the wind has been howling for several hours. It will be a long clean-up...

Jeff Monson
12-09-2009, 8:01 PM
We got nothin :mad:. My theory is if its going to be 15 below zero there might as well be some snow. Its just plain cold out right now and the rest of the week. Oh well its good for business!!

Paul Ryan
12-10-2009, 8:32 AM
Nice Pictures Al,

That is basically how my deck looked yesterday morning. Contrary to what the weather terrorists had predicted. It was not the end of the world here, maybe other parts of the country. But I was able to get out, the plow even came down the country road in from of my home about 4 hours earlier than expected. I had about 8" in my drive way. Not that much. It was windy yesterday and pretty narly in someplaces on the highway but the world did not shut down. Right now it is -11 air temp no windchils involved. No very windy this morning so wind chils wont be that bad though. Just another winter storm, stay warm everone.

Al Navas
12-10-2009, 9:16 AM
Paul,

I am sure glad things worked out so much better than expected. Curious thing this morning, from weather.com - I still cannot figure out why it should Feel Like a warmer temp, when we have wind blowing: :eek:

http://sandal-woodsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/weather-forecast-2.jpg

I spent several hours on my little tractor cleaning up the drifts on the driveway that the big truck we contracted was unable to get. At least we can now park the vehicles on the driveway once again.

Al Willits
12-10-2009, 9:56 AM
Nice Pictures Al,

That is basically how my deck looked yesterday morning. Contrary to what the weather terrorists had predicted. It was not the end of the world here, maybe other parts of the country. But I was able to get out, the plow even came down the country road in from of my home about 4 hours earlier than expected. I had about 8" in my drive way. Not that much. It was windy yesterday and pretty narly in someplaces on the highway but the world did not shut down. Right now it is -11 air temp no windchils involved. No very windy this morning so wind chils wont be that bad though. Just another winter storm, stay warm everone.

Might be.....
Last night on the news they mentioned a gal driving down 94 ran into a stalled vehicle along side the road, then they mentioned how dangerous the roads were.

Lets see....gal driving runs into a parked car and its the roads that are dangerous????
Wonder if she was going to fast or talking on the cell....or both?

I did get the wonderful opportunity to blow snow last night, got the driveway done and even the walkways, I didn't do around the boat parked under the carport as its to depressing looking at it sitting there, unable to use it.

Even the local Dairy Queen is closed, did have a "Open in Feb" sign so hope springs eternal.

At 62, winters are no longer a lot of fun...er...not any fun come to think of it.
Although snow during X-mas is pretty.

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 10:25 AM
We had a warm front move through during the night. It only got down to 7ºF. It's supposed to be above freezing starting Saturday and remain that way through Wednesday. Of course, that's when the snow is supposed to hit here.

Al Willits
12-10-2009, 10:27 AM
We had a warm front move through during the night. It only got down to 7ºF. It's supposed to be above freezing starting Saturday and remain that way through Wednesday. Of course, that's when the snow is supposed to hit here.

I'd take that 7 Ken, right now its -4 here.:D

Al

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Al,

I live in what's referred to as the "Banana Belt". :confused: A large number of farmers in the surrounding prairies retire here. We are in the Snake River canyon some 2,000-3,000 feet lower in elevation. The elevation makes a big difference and a lot of the bad stuff just blows over us. Of course when you leave the valley, eventually you have to migrate through the mountains.

It's sub-zero surrounding us.

I forgot to mention...we've had 2ºF the previous couple of nights. I suspect our banana crop is shot for this year!

Paul Ryan
12-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Idaho Bananas?

Something tells me not to go looking for that strain in the market. I will stick to potatos.

Mark Berenbrok
12-10-2009, 12:23 PM
If there's white stuff on the roads around here it's normally because there's a chicken truck in front of you.

Al Willits
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Al,

I live in what's referred to as the "Banana Belt". :confused: A large number of farmers in the surrounding prairies retire here. We are in the Snake River canyon some 2,000-3,000 feet lower in elevation. The elevation makes a big difference and a lot of the bad stuff just blows over us. Of course when you leave the valley, eventually you have to migrate through the mountains.

It's sub-zero surrounding us.

I forgot to mention...we've had 2ºF the previous couple of nights. I suspect our banana crop is shot for this year!

Have to admit I'd never really put banana's and Idaho together in one sentence, but then there's lots I've missed over the years. :D

Al