PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions from new member

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi All (whoever All is),

This is my first post. I am currently looking for a new forum to call home. The one I am coming from is beginning to get some riff-raff and the powers that be dont seem to want to do anything about it. Being fed up, I am looking for a new home.

I came across this forum in my hunt and so far I dont see any troublemakers/trolls/flames. All I see is everyone getting along and being helpful. Is it like this all the time? If not do the moderators handle it quickly?

I am looking foward to calling this place home. Do we get our own room, bed and night stand?

Pete Rosenbohm
10-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Welcome aboard, we will give you the room, but you have to build your own bed and night stand.:) :) :)

Pete

Lee Schierer
10-06-2004, 10:38 AM
We try to keep things friendly. While we get a troll now and then, the fact that you have to register to post seems to slow down most of them. Also the moderators and others do a pretty decent job of keeping things civil. Make sure you read the Terms of Service so you don't run afoul of the law. :) Many of us have met each other through the regional picnics and woodworking shows. I would encourage you to post, share your work, your questions and your answers with the rest in a spirit of being friendly and helpful.

Welcome, we look forward to seeing your work.

Royce Meritt
10-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Dave! I think I know which forum you are referring to. I too am getting fed up with all of the garbage.

I think you will find that the folks lurking about in THIS FORUM are among the most helpful, polite, thought-provoking people you will ever meet. Every question or problem, from the the most basic to the most advanced is met with courtesy and helpfulness.

I don't post very often myself but visit often. I enoy learning something from this GREAT bunch of people every day. Jump into the creek...the water's fine!

Bob Hovde
10-06-2004, 10:45 AM
Welcome to the Creek! I have received a lot of good advice here. There is a good mix of people - from new woodworkers to professionals - and everyone shares in the conversation. I think you'll like it here.

Bob

Gary Max
10-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Dave--- Welcome to your new home.
They are going to ask you to use you full name.
I did the same thing when I came aboard--someone will come along and help you fix it.
They do have a patrol who keeps track of your post---you must post pics or they get fussy.:D
Glad you found your way over to this site enjoy

Ken Salisbury
10-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Welcome to Sawmill Creek

Is it like this all the time? If not do the moderators handle it quickly?

Lets see if this is quick enough - 43 minutes :)

As Gary has already mentioned a real first and last name is required to be a fona fide member of Sawmill Creek. You can PM Jackie Outten (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6) with that information and she will update your registration information. Our Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php) are very simple - please review them.

Basically we are a self moderated forum. The members are well aware of what is and is not allowed and will more than likely let you know about boo boos before a moderator does :) . We pride ourselves in the "family environment" we have established here.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Tyler Howell
10-06-2004, 11:06 AM
So What's wrong with trolls???:p Welcome Dave I am about troll size and live under a bridge by the Creek. I am also a self appointed member of the picture nazi squad so keep it clean and often. Glad to have you on board.

Great bunch here. Glad to have you. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the 'Creek, Dave! Neat bunch of people here from pros to beginners willing to exchange ideas and opinions! Don't be bashful....jump into the 'Creek! Warning, however,.......Tyler and Chris P. are the "Photo Cops"......they'll hound you for pics. No pics........it isn't considered an official gloat.......Go too long without pics....they send out the "boys"......don't know what the "boys" do.....we've never had any survivors :eek: :rolleyes: :D .......Again.....Welcome to the 'Creek!

Dave Moran
10-06-2004, 11:11 AM
Welcome aboard Dave, I am also a Dave and a transplant from another board. I don't say much, but I am around.

Dave

John Shuk
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Welcome Dave. I never got to visit Badger Pond but somehow I stumbled on something that said this was a good representation of that community. I've looked at other forums but everything about this place is nice from the people to the interface. I just see no reason to go anywhere else.
John

Frank Pellow
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Welcome Dave! This is a great forum.. Not only are folks polite and considerate but, but they are very helpful. I am currently in the final stages of building a new workshop building, and a great deal of the design of that building has been directly influenced by the advise that I have received "real time" by my fellow Creekers.

Please send me stats your workshop so that I can add it to the list that I maintain in the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12202

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I sent a message to Jackie. Thanks for all the great welcomes. I hope im still as welcome tomorrow.

Here is a few of my projects. It may load a bit slow.

http://www.inetpublish.com/myprojects/index2.html

I have just got back to woodworking after 15 years of not having shop space or the time to woodwork. My shop is small. As times goes on I am sure things will be upgraded. I am still a firm beliver that it is the woodworker and not the tools.

Frank Pellow
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey, you do really nice work in that "small shop". I like the variety of things that you have built and the finishing on all of them is excellent.

Just how "small" is your shop?

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
It is a 12x22 stand alone garage. Wew just moved in on christmas eve this past year. The shop currently has a concrete pad on about 1/3 of it but the rest is dirt covered with cardboard and sawdust. Soon as I get the time away from all the projects I plan to build a wood floor. It has been hard to stop all the projects long enough to do that though:rolleyes:

Marshall Harrison
10-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Hey Dave, welcome to the Creek. This is the best place around and has the same atmosphere as the old Bager Pond.

I'm always here but I haven't started posting much but I'm sure that will change as I get my shop up and running.

Russell Svenningsen
10-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the creek! Great folks here.........GREAT projects, even better advice. You'll love it. It's far superior to many forums out there.

Just be sure to avoid stealth gloats and always back up any gloats with pics and you'll be fine. You'll know when the "Pic Police" are coming, Padilla's the one with the big, red nose.

Dan Gill
10-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Welcome, Dave. This is a kinder, gentler place, compared to the forum I assume you are speaking of. My only regret is that the creek doesn't seem to have as much activity as that other place (which shall remain nameless). That may change as others follow your lead and transfer their allegiance and their posts.

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Dan,

Looks like you do know the forum I was refering to, and you are probably right on leaving it nameless. There are many good people over there and hopefully they WILL find there way here. I am sure there are many already looking for a good home.

Dave Right
10-06-2004, 12:54 PM
I also know what other forum you are talking about. The moderators are doing almost nothing about it but that kind of child-like behavior is not put up with here but we still have fun . This is a great place to talk wood and the moderators are great too:D . I have been here only a short time but already feel like I have found a home.

Ted Shrader
10-06-2004, 1:38 PM
Dave -

Hi! Welcome to the Creek. It is a freindly place. Pull up a stump and dangle your feet.

There are occasional straying from the path, but the participants generally rein it in quickly if the moderators do not. Part of the reason for requiring first and last names is to avoid "drive bys". Seems to be working well.

Regards,
Ted

John Miliunas
10-06-2004, 1:50 PM
Dagnabit! I'm about 3 hours late for this WELCOME TO THE CREEK, DAVE! :D I don't know which "other" forum you speak of, but quite frankly, it matters not! You're HERE now and consider yourself to be among friends! :) As others have mentioned, some of us have had the pleasure of meeting face to face, for most it's the Creek or email. Whatever the venue or method of meeting, I've yet to see it "un-friendly"! :) It's really tough to get anything past the moderators, anyway. I think they've all gone to Cyber Patrol school or something like that. :D Anyhow, you'll find this a great place to share, learn, ask questions, get answers and sometimes, just sometimes, plain old goof off! :D WW is supposed to be fun and, this forum being an integral part of the WW craft is no exception. Come often, stay long and have fun! :cool:

Jim Becker
10-06-2004, 1:58 PM
I shall also add my "Welcome, Dave" to the pile!

Ian Barley
10-06-2004, 2:03 PM
Dave

Welcome. This is my favourite place on the web and that's just because the folks here are always friendly and helpful. When we disagree we do it in an adult and respectful fashion. I hardly ever become aware of moderators action but when I do they are also friendly and helpful.

I glance at other forums from time to time, and I can see that this is not always the busiest. I kinda think that quality is more important than quantity so I always come back here. Hope that you will too.

The pics of you projects look great - you do nice work.

Frank Pellow
10-06-2004, 2:18 PM
It is a 12x22 stand alone garage. Wew just moved in on christmas eve this past year. The shop currently has a concrete pad on about 1/3 of it but the rest is dirt covered with cardboard and sawdust. Soon as I get the time away from all the projects I plan to build a wood floor. It has been hard to stop all the projects long enough to do that though:rolleyes:

How high is the ceiling?

Wood floors are the best -I suggest that you do that before the projects. I stopped a bunch of projects in mid-strean to build my new shop and do not regret it. And, a wood floor takes a lot less time than a new shop.

nic obie
10-06-2004, 2:43 PM
Welcome Dave,

I think you'll like it here. The people are great. Every once in a while it loads a little slow, but from what I hear a new server is on the way. This place has really grown in the last year. During the week it's starting to be normal to see 70 online on just this part of the board. The other form (to remain unnamed) used to average about the same. Now it's common to see just 15 surfing their tool board and 30 on the woodworking board. It could be folks are wising up.

Anyway, I'm glad you found your way here. :)

John Miliunas
10-06-2004, 2:51 PM
Hey Dave, I just checked out the link to your work. Forget about the part in my "welcome" about you asking questions! Me thinks we'll be the ones asking the questions and getting the answers from YOU! :D Beautiful work! Really love that jewelry box and the leg work on the table! You will need to share methods and techniques, if you would, please! :) I certainly hope you will find this to be your new "home"! :cool:

Brad Schmid
10-06-2004, 2:57 PM
Welcome Dave! glad you joined the party :D

That's some nice work posted on your site by the way!
Cheers,
Brad

Dave Shaffer
10-06-2004, 3:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments John, but im no expert. I am just learning too. I always have questions.

Michael Stafford
10-06-2004, 3:10 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I am relatively new myself. I find this site to be inhabited by knowledgable and friendly folks. I learn something nearly every time I sign on. Lots of positive feedback and expertise in nearly every subject. Have not been disappointed with an answer to a question yet. A couple of weird guys/trolls but they are good natured and encourage participation. All you have to do is look at Tyler's leaf blower dust collection system and you'll know that there is great fun here in the Creek... :D

Chris Padilla
10-06-2004, 3:15 PM
As the other half of the self-appointed picture nazi, I can become quite beligerant and nasty but in general, I do tend to behave myself...mostly... ;)

Welcome to the USS SMC!! :) Glad to have you aboard.

Let's see...whose turn to make sure I take my pink and purple striped pills???

John Gregory
10-06-2004, 3:58 PM
I am relatively new to the Creek. I lurke a lot and post some. The difference that you will find here at Sawmill Creek than any other forum, is the sense of community. After a while you will feel that you know some of the members here as great friends.

When I go home at night, (I visit the Creek mostly during the work day), I start sharing things that I have read or learned here with my wife as if these guys/gals were coworkers.

You, like me will get hooked here. Each day I need my "Creek fix"

Have fun and thanks for sharing the pictures of your beautiful woodworking projects.

John

Jerry Ingraham
10-06-2004, 4:41 PM
Welcome Dave,
You will find virtually none of what you experienced at that other site as i'm pretty sure I know which one you're referring to. This site is friendly, helpful, and the comraderie is off the charts! You do have to take the picture patrol with a grain of salt though ;) !

Marshall Harrison
10-06-2004, 5:23 PM
Dave,

Finally got around to looking at your work and you do some great work. I'll have to try out some of the finishes you listed.

I also like the motto in your signature. It could serve as my 7 year old son's life motto. He loves to take things apart almost as much as le likes catching lizards.

Now, what is the "Tyler's leaf blower dust collector" thingee that everyone seems to know about but me?

Jim Ketron
10-06-2004, 5:42 PM
Welcome Dave I think you will be right at home here!
Best WW forum on the net.
And We like PICS:D
Jim

Kent Cori
10-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Dave,

We're happy and honored to have you with us. You'll really love this place. About the only thing to look out for is the picture police. You'll find out who they are soon enough if you post a tool gloat or message about a recent project without attaching photos. Beware, these guys never give up! :D

Kelly C. Hanna
10-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Welcome Dave! You do very nice work...I especially like the starburst apron on the table! You'll love the Creek....everyone who 'resides' here is mature and willing to help.

Scott Parks
10-07-2004, 12:58 AM
As times goes on I am sure things will be upgraded. I am still a firm beliver that it is the woodworker and not the tools.
Hey, as far as my wife knows, it is the TOOLS, that's why I have the O.K. to buy a new tablesaw!:D Just got a new planer because I don't know how to stain maple, so now I have to replane my boards.... hehe.. (it's not the woodworker...)