PDA

View Full Version : Any opinions on the Jet 35X Shaper?

Anil Kalagatla
12-08-2009, 3:28 PM
This seems to be very similar to the Powermatic PM2700 shaper, but I haven't seen too much information about this. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who owns one of these or has used it.

Thanks!
Anil

Charlie Plesums
12-08-2009, 4:14 PM
I don't know about the Jet, but the Powermatic 2700 5 hp is great.

Philip Johnson
12-08-2009, 5:04 PM
I have the PM 2700, when I was researching it someone said the fences were different although they look very similar. The Pm has a micro adjust on both the infeed and outfeed side which works very well. I was told the Jet only has a micro adjust on once side which makes setting the fence more of a pain.

Phil

Peter Quinn
12-08-2009, 7:38 PM
I don't own either, but I was considering both very closely until I recently got a decent used deal. The PM has a significantly bigger table which would help with freehand radius work, and it has the mobile base I hear great things about, as well as a digital height indicator. But most importantly the PM has a great fence that micro adjusts from both sides and has a dual dust collection set up, so there is DC both at the back of the hood and from under the table. I think there may be some other minor differences, like the size of the hole in the table being greater on the PM, the height under the nut (ie maximum tooling height potential), the total spindle travel might be greater? Most of these things may only be relevant if you regularly intend to use the shaper at the upper end of its capacity.

But that fence issue is not a small one. If you have experience with shapers you will understand how much of a PIA a single sided adjusting fence is. For many operations I like to remove a full cut using an off set split fence like a jointer. Typically I will position the hood so it is in the ball park, then set the out feed fence flush to the slightest apex of the cutting arc, then set the infeed fence 1/16" back from that. And when I say FLUSH, I mean EXACTLY flush, like a jointer, or you get snipe. Its a quick and relatively precise way to work. Take away the adjustability of the infeed fence and you can no longer control exactly how much material you are removing. You could employ a number of work arounds, like a back fence for instance, or shims for the infeed fence, but you shouldn't have to. I don't understand why WMH made the decision in this day and age to release a major over haul of tool with a crude fence that is a throw back to the 1950's? $$$?

In any event I was set on the PM2700 until a used shaper fell into my lap. Like most Jet tools, by the time you add on all the features its PM cousin has as standard items, the PM version is actually a better value IMO. Take the price of the jet, add a good dual micro adjust after market hood, a mobile base, a digital height gauge, the extra spindle (I believe the PM2700 comes with both 3/4" and 1 1/4", the jet comes with either 3/4" or 1 1/4", you pay for the second if you need it) and the jet may actually cost more similarly equipped! Its not that the Jet looked like a bad shaper, but its a little no frills at that price point, and for a bit more the PM2700 is a lot more machine if its in the budget. Of course if you needs are basic the Jet looks like a good basic shaper and leaves you an extra $1K in pocket to spend on shaper tooling!:D

Philip Johnson
12-08-2009, 8:07 PM
Peter...you about summed up all good extras with the Pm2700 over the Jet, you must have talked me into the Pm when I was shopping. I think the price difference is about 600 even less if you can fine one of the 15 percent off deals.

Anil Kalagatla
12-08-2009, 9:16 PM
Thanks for the detailed response Peter. I will probably continue to look for a PM2700 then.

Anil