PDA

View Full Version : Does a scroll chuck write?

Mike Wenman
12-08-2009, 2:32 PM
When using my older Jet 1236, I had purchased a Vicmarc VM100 scroll chuck and now with the PM3520, I ordered a spindle adapter from PSI So I could just use the chuck on there. Not sure I could convice the wifey to let me spring for a Nova or Talon etc after spending as much as I have on the new lathe, a DC, and a new Delta scroll saw so was looking at the Grizzley 4-jaw chuck Item # H6267. It appears to be patterned after the Vicmarc series and curious if this is the VM120 equivalent? Any of you have this chuck and if so, has it been a good one for you? Any issues with getting different sets of jaws for it etc.,?

Thanks for all your helpful info.

Mike

Steve Mawson
12-08-2009, 3:58 PM
Mike,
Might want to do a search on the Griz chuck. It has been discussed on here before and several members have the chuck. I have two Nova's, an older Nova and a newer one that I got from Woodcraft on sale. I ordered a new insert from Woodcraft when I got the new lathe with the larger spindle. I believe Woodcraft still has the by $20.00 get a $10.00 discount, (coupon 12249) going on so one insert was about $13.00, pretty good deal plus free shipping.

Dennis Ford
12-08-2009, 4:32 PM
I have the Grizzly chuck and am satisfied with it. My only complaint is the screws that hold the jaws on were of very poor quality, I threw them away and bought new screws before useing the chuck.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2009, 4:44 PM
Mike I have 3 of the Griz chucks to go with my Vic VM100. All the jaws from the Vic will fit the Griz as was told to me it is a clone of the Vic. I have all three set up with different Vic jaws. Haven't had a problem with any of them with one being 3 1/2 yrs old.

Bill Bolen
12-08-2009, 8:03 PM
I also have a few of the Grizz chucks you mentioned. They are good chucks and a great price. I use the spindle adapter on one and bought the grizz 1 1/4" X 8 insert for another. They spin true and hold well. The jaw set that comes with the chuck is a bit smaller than the normal 50MM but has gotten me out of trouble with a too small tennon on more than one occasion...Bill...

Mike Wenman
12-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the helpful info.

Hilel Salomon
12-09-2009, 3:57 PM
The scroll chuck does indeed write, but it does so in cursive and in Australian, both of which are hard to decipher. There is no readily available dictionary translating from Australian to English, but if you buy an Australian to Maori and a Maori to English dictionary, you will be able to read anything the chuck writes (assuming you have mastered cursive). The two dictionaries will cost about 300 dollars, but you can hire an out of work Australian actor to do the translation for about 5 dollars and a lot of beer.
Regards, Hilel.

Richard Madison
12-09-2009, 7:50 PM
+2 Griz chucks, 2 jaw sets and one home made jaw set. All work well.

Mike Wenman
12-10-2009, 1:50 AM
.....The two dictionaries will cost about 300 dollars, but you can hire an out of work Australian actor to do the translation for about 5 dollars and a lot of beer.
Regards, Hilel.

Can do the beer but none of that Fosters stuff. Australian for beer pffft. The stuff is brewed in Canada and imported!