PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw cabinet finished!

Greg Scott
10-06-2004, 10:16 AM
This is my last shop project finished before starting on x-mas presents. This is loosly based on the Wood Mag plan. Now I have some onboard storage for my Incra Miter sled as well as router bits, sawblads jigs routers etc. It is on locking casters but with the weight I don't think I'll have to lock them.

Frank Pellow
10-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Looks good Greg. What are you doing for dust collection?

Jim Fancher
10-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Looks great, Greg. I'm in the planning stages of my table saw cabinet and I'm sure I'll be PMing you with a few questions.

What can you tell us about your power distribution? It looks pretty heavy duty. I love the idea of having some outlets on the cabinet.

Tyler Howell
10-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Wow Greg! Lots of options/function available. If no one takes me up on my TS 4 Sale I may go your rought for a dedicated Dado/ Router station.

Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Greg Scott
10-06-2004, 11:09 AM
Frank,
Dust collection is a 4" from under the tablesaw and then a 4" to the cabinet under the router. Then I have 2 4" blast gates that can either close or open either of these. The plans from Wood showed a V to direct the dust to the bottom for better pick up but I've found that that was not really needed. I also have a 4" reduced to a 2 1/2" for my router fence that drops from the ceiling. I must say the dust collection works very well for the router table. Hopefully I will acquire or build a better overhead collection for the ts in the future.

Greg Scott
10-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Jim,
As far as the power goes it's just 110 right now which is run into the throw switch and then the router and ts are run from there. The extra outlets are great if you are doing any type of assembly on the extension and need a drill or jigsaw because you don't have to deal with any dropcords. When the disconnect is off that cuts power to everything which is nice for changing blades or bits. PM me anytime if you have questions.
Greg

Dave Right
10-06-2004, 2:09 PM
Nice Job! I like yours much better than the one I saw in the mag

Jerry Olexa
10-06-2004, 2:52 PM
Nice job! looks like furniture to me, I also sometines put more effort into a shop project than furniture.

Chris Padilla
10-06-2004, 2:56 PM
Greg,

Superb job!! That is one compact unit and it does look like it weighs a ton...is it a PITA to move at all? What size casters are on it?

I see you have the M5k Incra sled...I have that one, too.

I've been worried about expanding my TS too much (I have a 1023 Griz) simply due to the weight. It is pretty easy to move right now but I fear adding more weight will make it tougher.

Michael Stafford
10-06-2004, 2:58 PM
Greg, a very fine job and a nice looking saw/router cabinet. IMHO I would strongly recommend that you lock the casters while using the unit. It may be heavy enough and have enough inertia so that it will not move while in use. However you don't want to find out that that is not the case and get injured because something shifts on you. Just want you and the rest of the Saw Mill Creek buddies safe.

Greg Scott
10-06-2004, 3:20 PM
Chris,
I have 4" locking casters on it. It's not real easy to move around but at the most I only do that once a day so it's not that big of a deal. I think the extra mobility of moving from a Delta mobile base where you have the fixed wheels on one end is worth the extra effort. I may upgrade to some nice Lee Valley casters in the future to see if that improves the movement at all.
Greg

Jim Becker
10-06-2004, 3:52 PM
Great job on this project, Greg! Good storage ideas and functionality with your TS and router combined into a nice workstation. I like how you were able to fit the sled under the wing, too.

Do lock those casters, though...even a slight movement while you are cutting could cause you to mis-feed stock and cause a kickback, etc.