PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Project

Jacob Robinson
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
So, years ago, a friend of mine and I where discussing home defense. it was late, and things got silly, and we finally decided that the best non-firearm home defense weapon would be a huge hammer. i swore to him that day that i would make him a giant hammer.

well, finally, the resources fell into my lap, and the final result was this:

the electrical tape in the first picture is holding the rawhide in place while it dries. (rawhide dogbones have other uses!) the rawhide on the base of the handle turned out looking bad, so i ended up taking it off in the end.

the head is one solid piece of a cedar post. the bands around it are just shaped out of it. the plugs are something like ash, whatever they had at the hardware store.
handle is an hickory axe handle from the hardware store, pre finished.

shaped it with the table saw, circular saw, and chisels, and finally a orbital sander.

the stain on the main part of it i cant remember, might be minwax early american, and the bands are minwax dark walnut stain.

my friend loves it. there's nothing like coming through on an inside joke 5 years later.

obviously, its mostly a decorative/brag item, as the cedar would not stand up to more than about, one whack against anything more durable than an egg, but it was a lot of fun to make, and even more fun to see my friends face when i presented him with a hammer straight out of the comic books.

John Keeton
12-08-2009, 12:55 PM
A headbanger for sure! But, I am reminded of the caution about taking a knife to a gunfight. Hope is waiting right behind the door in the event an intruder enters. Otherwise, I fear he may be outmatched!:eek:

But, should he get in the first lick, I suspect the fight is over!:D

Jacob Robinson
12-08-2009, 1:00 PM
Thanks John. you have no idea how hard it was to get decent pictures of this thing, to get the whole thing in the frame, you have to either be so far away that it looks tiny, or end up with a weird perspective (like the shot on the table)

Jason Strauss
12-09-2009, 9:30 AM
That thing is SWEET! There's no more fun in the world than the logic of a late night with friends - except, of course, making that logic come true! Nice work!

John Thompson
12-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Very nice build Jason. I personally prefer an entrenching tool (short military shovel with the blade that folds back to make it even shorter) for face to face combat as the balance on that is great.. But... not much gets past the Savage Riot 12 G pump with 9 round capacity at the front door. The .45 Auto takes care of internal security in the house so..... :)

Hope your friend never has to use that as things do get a bit intense and somewhat messy in close quarters...

Baxter Smith
12-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice story! Reminds me of something I made and used 25 years ago. If your friend is so inclined, it could have a potential woodworking use - at least for a few whacks!
Will try and post a picture tomorrow. I will be interested to see if any one else mentions it.

BTW-he could start referring to it as his "Commander".:)

Cody Colston
12-09-2009, 1:33 PM
It looks like it belonged to Conan the Barbarian!

tyler mckenzie
12-09-2009, 1:40 PM
that hilarious, i want one!

Baxter Smith
12-09-2009, 11:38 PM
A similar "commander" in use. It could be more versatile than you thought!:)

Zach England
12-10-2009, 1:53 AM
Cool. now you can make a wooden .357 for backup.