PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on purchase of LT18

Todd Doherty
12-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Looking for some feedback on purchasing a 1999 Laguna LT18 ACM built machine. This machine has the 3 hp motor and I believe guides that are not ceramic.
This saw has never been put together and the motor has never been run. I can get the saw for $1200.

I have been in touch with Laguna to learn what is the difference between this model and the ones they sell today. Their response was:
That time was during a change over for us so it could be one of two models. It will either be a meber model or a ACM model. The main difference are the Meber machines we no longer can get parts for them, we offered these machines from the early 1990's thru mid 1999. The ACM machines we can get parts for as they are still the same model we sell new today. If it is an ACM machine there are a number of upgrades for
it. You can add the 4.5hp Baldor motor upgrade kit, Laguna Ceramic Guides, and the Driftmaster Fence.

The options were priced at:
The Baldor upgrade kit is $699, Ceramic Guides are $280, and the Driftmaster fence is $395

I welcome your thoughts. Especially from anyone who has this saw.

Richard Bell CA
12-08-2009, 1:17 PM
Todd:

I have the 2001 version of this saw and I have been pleased with it. For reference, I bought it new in 2001 for $1895, plus $30 for a ceramic guide retrofit. Mine has a nameplate on the back side of the column that clearly states ACM, so you might want to check this to verify if it was made by ACM or Meber. You might also check the resaw height - per my manual there were a few different versions of the LT-18. Mine was a 12" resaw. Let me know if I can provide any information.

Good luck

Richard

Arnold E Schnitzer
12-08-2009, 1:19 PM
I have a 2008 version of this saw. It's a beast. Perhaps you could get the saw and try it with the existing motor. I don't care for the Driftmaster fence. I built myself a 7' long, 15" high fence for resawing hard and soft woods, and I use a 1" carbide blade from Suffolk Machinery. I have the Baldor on mine. For $1200, and new, I doubt you can go wrong.

Dan Friedrichs
12-08-2009, 1:28 PM
There have been several threads recently where people have been getting LT18's used. Seems like the going price has been ~$1k, but since yours in essentially new, it's probably worth the $200 premium over that.

I think the guides are a personal preference, and not necessarily an upgrade if you don't care for them. I like them, but find ball bearing guides much easier to adjust.

I have a smaller Laguna (LT14) with 3HP, and I can't imagine how you'd ever need 4.5HP. Maybe if you're sawing 12" slabs of teak or something :)

Todd Doherty
12-08-2009, 5:29 PM
Arnold,

Thanks for your input. I work for a company that purchases motors to package with in our compressors. Is it possible to get the Baldor Model number of the motor on your machine? I'd like to see what I can purchase it for. I also have a metal working shop that could make me the adapter plate. Always trying to save money and thought this might be an option.

Greg Portland
12-08-2009, 7:17 PM
I bought the ACM machine in the early 2000s and it came with the older motor and carter guides. I have since upgraded to the Baldor motor and ceramic guides. A few comments:

- I have seen no performance change with the motor upgrade. If I was running a power feeder then maybe the bigger motor would be worth the upgrade.
- The ceramic guides are much better than the carter bearing guides in terms of holding the blade in place. One gripe is that the guide adjustments require 2 different hex wrenches and a normal wrench (vs one standard hex wrench). However, I would recommend the upgrade.
- The included fence was quite nice and I don't see a reason to upgrade to the driftmaster at this point unless I needed to make 'final' cuts vs something close to a line that will be machined or sanded down further. For veneers (outside blade cutting) I just use a stop block.

Scot Ferraro
12-08-2009, 11:45 PM
I also have a 2001 LT18 and I upgraded the motor and think it is well worth the upgrade. The reason is not so much from a power perspective, but the Baldor runs substantially cooler than the 3 HP Euro motor. The Euro motor runs extremely hot, even after short sawing sessions and that bothered me. With the Baldor I have noticed much more torque and this helps when resawing. I also looked at buying a motor separately, but the costs of Baldor motors or Leeson or any other reputable brand all are in the ballpark and since you are mounting a US motor to a European frame, you need to take the mounting into account. Laguna includes a nicely machined aluminum disk that mounts on the motor and then lines up with the holes on the saw frame. You could also drill another hole in the frame and that would probably work. The shaft is sized right with the Laguna and it comes with a pulley to fit the European size belt -- just some other things to consider. Other folks have had no issues with the Euro motors and maybe I just had one that did not work as well as it should have. I have no regrets with the upgrade, though. I would say that the price is very reasonable.

Scot

Mike Wilkins
12-09-2009, 10:40 AM
I have had a LT18 since August 2001 and love it. Mine came with the original Euro guides, but I later made the upgrade to ceramic guides. I have not had any issues with the motor overheating, even with some serious resawing. These machines are built like a German tank (no offense to tank lovers), and unless they have been abused, should still run great. The condition of the sellers shop will give you an indication of the care that went into this machine. Should a UFO crash into my shop, I would not hesitate to get another one to replace it.