PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on pre-work wood surfacing

David B Thornton
12-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Hi guys,

First want to start by saying that I am a relatively new poster, but have gotten so much great information and feedback from the community and plan on being a long time resident :D

So, here's my predicament that I've gotten myself into. I decided to make some cutting boards for family members for christmas without thinking to myself "gee, I don't have all the necessary tools yet to do so". I don't have a jointer or planer yet, so getting my boards surfaced is going to be a problem.

I stopped in at a local lumber place yesterday and found some 8/4 black walnut that I plan to use, but it is rough cut. They told me that they do provide surfacing services and costs roughly $90/hour with a minimum of $15. I am going to have to go this route as I don't have the tools and I don't know any fellow woodworkers in my area that I could have it done for me. The only problem is that I think I should get the lumber surfaced before I start doing my cutting to ensure proper joints, but that would mean that I will need to get it surfaced prior to doing the work, then take the finished cutting boards in to get them resurfaced/planed.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me other than not doing them, haha. Or possibly other ways of getting the boards surfaced for cheaper? Or any fellow creekers want some extra Christmas spending money? Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave Wagner
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Fill in your profile of your location? Where you located?

Yes, without the proper tools, planer, joiner, etc...you will have to rely on others for the finishing.

David B Thornton
12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm located in Washington.

Ed Hazel
12-08-2009, 1:09 PM
You can have it planed to the thickness you want, use a glue line rip blade and carefully glue up your cutting boards and then sand them.

I would think a couple of cutting boards would be the min charge so you are only saving $15.00. Talk to them they might not even charge you the 2nd time.

Doug Shepard
12-08-2009, 1:14 PM
I just discovered a couple years ago that the nearby township senior center has a full blown woodworking shop (complete with a big wide belt sander) and that it's not a tough sell to get one of the resident geezers to run some wood through for you. Maybe there's something similar in your neck of the woods?

David B Thornton
12-08-2009, 4:42 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not quite sure if there is anything like that around here, but then again I'm just getting into woodworking, so I don't really have many local sources. Can anybody from Washington suggest any other options that I have?

Dan Forman
12-08-2009, 5:15 PM
I'm on the other side of the state, but here are a few options.

Post a new thread to see if there are any Creekers nearby who could help you out with the surfacing.

If no, see if there is a school nearby with a woodworking program who could be talked into helping, after all, they are Christmas gifts.

Try another lumber yard, $15 seems kind of high.

Get yourself a good handplane, though you would need a sturdy work bench, and there is a bit of a learning curve.

I wouldn't be at all surprise though if you will find a Creeker nearby that will be willing to help. If not, try the same strategy over at Woodnet.

Good luck,

Dan

David B Thornton
12-08-2009, 5:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Dan. I'll throw up a post seeing if anybody would be willing to do that for me.