PDA

View Full Version : Got an idea for a router table, can you expand on it??

Johnnyy Johnson
12-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I have an old Ryobi BT 3100 TS. I am considering taking the router insert table off and build a small router table around it. I might be able to make the fence rails attach some way. Also, I am going to attempt to figure a way to take the miter sled and modify it to quick hitch to my contractor saw. That would be nice until I can afford to upgrade to the real thing. Has anyone attempted any of this stuff? If so do you have pics??
Thanks
Johnny
(http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/cupp/02/index.htm)

Glenn Vaughn
12-08-2009, 1:57 PM
I am interested in this as well. I replaced my BT3000 with a Saw Stop Contractor (friend of mine had an accident with the BT3000 - luckily not real serious). Wife does n ot want to sell the BT3000 because of the accident so I have it and was just going to use it as a router table but it is pretty big for that (considering how much room the Sqaw Stop takes - built an outfeed table that is 48" X 63").

Johnnyy Johnson
12-08-2009, 3:25 PM
Hi Glenn...My BT saw is about 13 yo, but I bet I never used it to rip over 100 bf. I had forgotten I had it. I have a 3 hp delta shaper and now would like to have a RT for small bits. Since there is little to no market to sell it, I would like to strip it down and use some parts. My shop is 14'x40', so every square f is important. As time permits, I'm going to see what I can rig up.

Thanks

Glenn Vaughn
01-14-2010, 2:55 PM
After thinking hard about this I have come up with what I hope is a workable solution. I plan on mounting the BT3000 Router Table in the outfeed table, install a section of miter track and a section of t-slot. I have ordered the Pinnacle Fence System and will mount it to the t-slot.

If all goes as planned I think this will work for me.

http://www.dawiz.net/Router01_2.jpg

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 4:24 PM
Wife does not want to sell the BT3000 because of the accident

I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying she feels she'd be selling someone a dangerous tool?

Glenn Vaughn
01-14-2010, 4:33 PM
I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you saying she feels she'd be selling someone a dangerous tool?

That is exactly what she feels - arguing with her does no good.

Glenn

Cliff Holmes
01-14-2010, 4:52 PM
Hmm, well, I guess you could convert it into an incredibly overbuilt disk sander.

Glenn Vaughn
01-24-2010, 2:15 AM
I finally got it pretty much done - just some cleanup left on the table.

The BT3000 table was fun getting installed and levelled. The lip is not the same distance from the top at the ends; I had to make spacers for each end to mount against.

http://www.dawiz.net/wmv/saw002.jpg

The fence is the PinnacleŽ Premium Positioner Precision Incremental Fence System from Woodcraft - got it on sale for $99.

Temporarily the setup is in the garage while I convince the LOML that I need to expand my shop. The area is a mess (we are doing massive remodelling of the house and the garage is a catchall for everything.

http://www.dawiz.net/wmv/saw001.jpg

The yellow stripe on the floor is the divider between my half of the garage and the wife's.

Van Huskey
01-24-2010, 2:21 AM
I am interested in this as well. I replaced my BT3000 with a Saw Stop Contractor (friend of mine had an accident with the BT3000 - luckily not real serious). Wife does n ot want to sell the BT3000 because of the accident so I have it and was just going to use it as a router table but it is pretty big for that (considering how much room the Sqaw Stop takes - built an outfeed table that is 48" X 63").

It wasn't serious because the BT3000 can't cut flesh, t was the original Sawstop... I know I have one sitting in the corner but I wll sell it, you might show the wife BT3central.com there are a lot of devotees so she might understand how someone might really want it for "parts".

Van Huskey
01-24-2010, 2:27 AM
I have an old Ryobi BT 3100 TS. I am considering taking the router insert table off and build a small router table around it. I might be able to make the fence rails attach some way. Also, I am going to attempt to figure a way to take the miter sled and modify it to quick hitch to my contractor saw. That would be nice until I can afford to upgrade to the real thing. Has anyone attempted any of this stuff? If so do you have pics??
Thanks
Johnny

I like the general idea but building a inexpensive miter sled and using some phenolic plywood and a HF router plate would get you a much higher quality set-up for less than you could sell the BT3000 for. Trust me I never get rid of anything I can use but even my fully deck out BT3000 is worth more to sell than I can klude out of it. If you want to keep it just use the fence and build a router table as is and buy a disc to turn the saw into a sander as mentioned above. Woodcraft sells one I think for about $20, if your ears can handle the universal motor scream.

Glenn Vaughn
01-24-2010, 3:06 AM
It wasn't serious because the BT3000 can't cut flesh, t was the original Sawstop... I know I have one sitting in the corner but I wll sell it, you might show the wife BT3central.com there are a lot of devotees so she might understand how someone might really want it for "parts".

Trust me - the BT3000 can cut flesh - the medical bills were almost $2000 the cut was 3/4" deep and about 3" long. He would have lost fingers if the board had not jammed and blocked part of the blade.