PDA

View Full Version : LED Christmas lights

Lee Schierer
12-08-2009, 11:17 AM
We have an older dial type Leviton programmable timer for our outdoor Christmas lights and another one that is a newer digital model. The digital model has a micro switch inside that actually opens and closes the circuit, which works fine for the LED's.

The older unit uses a solid state switch and needs something plugged in so there is a complete circuit downstream from the switch to operate the program timer. When I plugged in our new LED lights into the old timer, I noticed that one string came on bright and the other strings came on dim, even when the timer was in the off mode. Apparently the bleed through current is enough to illuminate the lights and then when the switch actually turns on because the LEDs have a current sensor and limiter, they don't come on bright when they are turned on by the timer.

I was able to cure the problem by including a conventional string of mini lights that effectively dissipates the operating current for the timer. The LED's are now off when they are supposed to be and on bright when the switch turns on.