PDA

View Full Version : Have you found a use for yours yet!!

John Keeton
12-08-2009, 7:10 AM
There were many comments when the LV Mini Shoulder Plane was released, and Rob Lee indicates they are selling like crazy. Some speculated that it's best use was as a desk ornament.

I knew there would be moments when this little tool would be the perfect match for the job - and, I found it!:D

When I do solid drawer bottoms, I rarely attempt to end up with a specific thickness. Sometimes they are 1/4", but most of the time thicker. For that reason (being the hybrid worker I am) I cut the grooves in the drawer stock on the tablesaw. Sometimes the saw cuts don't fully overlap, and the bottom of the groove is rough, or has some thin material to remove.

Cleanup is the perfect job for this little plane!

Richard Niemiec
12-08-2009, 9:09 AM
The optimal tool is a small router plane, because it gives you depth control as well. I thought of buying this little bugger at the intro price but didn't get around to it, as it seemed like a tool looking for a purpose.

Paul Davis
12-08-2009, 9:11 AM
Well, I wasn't looking for a use for it, but I found one. I was trimming the shoulders on the stub tenons for the long stretchers of my workbench, and found that the medium LN shoulder plane would lose its reference point when the hole in the middle was just over the tenon.

Hmmm. This shoulder is exactly a quarter inch. What do I have that will rest comfortably on the tenon and trim a quarter inch?

Worked great. And even looked somehow right. :)

I actually found an earlier use for this tiny plane the day that it came. I was smoothing the cavity for the Benchmade wagon vise, and the 1/4" width made for nice transitions. Plus it planed very close to the stopped end.

Bob Strawn
12-09-2009, 9:09 AM
It is the best edge beveler for leather, ever!

Bob

Brian Kent
12-09-2009, 11:07 AM
And when holiday company comes over you can bring it out from your pocket after dinner, and say, "Ever seen one of these?"

Michael Faurot
12-09-2009, 12:10 PM
I was sawing some half laps and found the minature shoulder plane was great for cleaning up the inside corner.

Ken Werner
12-09-2009, 1:16 PM
Mine just makes me smile.

Dewald van Lamp
12-09-2009, 1:21 PM
There were many comments when the LV Mini Shoulder Plane was released, and Rob Lee indicates they are selling like crazy. Some speculated that it's best use was as a desk ornament.

I knew there would be moments when this little tool would be the perfect match for the job - and, I found it!:D

When I do solid drawer bottoms, I rarely attempt to end up with a specific thickness. Sometimes they are 1/4", but most of the time thicker. For that reason (being the hybrid worker I am) I cut the grooves in the drawer stock on the tablesaw. Sometimes the saw cuts don't fully overlap, and the bottom of the groove is rough, or has some thin material to remove.

Cleanup is the perfect job for this little plane!

I needed it for exactly that same purpose this last weekend, John..!

I have a contractor's saw, the 2000 Triton system, and I guess it all boils down to "even pressure" with cutting 2 X 3 mm grooves to match the 6 mm bottom "exterior" pine plywood that we have available here, which is what I utilize for box bottoms.

Mine is still languishing in NJ, USA, but will hopefully wade its way over here in two or three weeks.

It is no big deal really, as nobody will ever peek into that groove, but I just wanted to get it perfect..! LOL!

I have not yet discovered another need for it...

But, then, I'm still young..!

;)

Jim Paulson
12-09-2009, 9:11 PM
I haven't got the bug to buy one, but I have to admit it looks sweet.

Jim