PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 10" bandsaw on sale at Woodcraft

tom coleman
12-08-2009, 3:00 AM
Has anyone tried this saw with its tiny 1/3 hp motor. I like the idea of a 10" benchtop tool for small craft work but most benchtop band saws appear too flimsy.

I'm working on christmas gift boxes for grandkids and would like to personalize lids with their names. Cut out the name with a saw........paint the cut out letters a contrasting color.......glue together

Or should I spring for $500 and buy a Dewalt scroll saw.

Appreciate inputs from anyone who has tried this tool

Kyle Iwamoto
12-08-2009, 4:59 AM
No one?
I have one, looks like there's no changes. It's a good saw. Needs a little adjustment, as with any new tool. Comes with nice features, roller guides, brush for the tire. Once adjusted, it cut pretty straight. It's not that user friendly, for adjusting blade tension. The 1/8" blades break when you got too much tension, and with this you can easily put too much tension. The table could be better. Dust collection seems to work well enough. I cut mahogany or spanish cedar to almost it's full capacity, the "tiny" motor seems to handle it. (Ukulele necks) This being a steel frame, it's solid. Definetely not "flimsy" like some other bench tops I've looked at.

Worth the price? I think so, and I also have a 14" PM. This is my small delicate work saw.

Between that and a scroller, I don't know. I'd say if you got the DeWalt Scroller, you won't be disappointed. But you're wanting to do scroll work with a bandsaw...... Unless the wood is more than an inch thick, I'd go scroller.

Dave Mura
12-08-2009, 9:38 AM
Thanks for posting!

Bob Borzelleri
12-08-2009, 9:47 AM
If your primary purpose here is doing stuff that leans toward scroll work, I'd get the DeWalt. Oh wait, I did just that!:rolleyes:

When I was looking to get detailed cutting capability, I considered getting a small bench type BS and decided on a scroll instead; primarily because I figured that a bench BS would be a bit like a sofa bed, not a very good sofa and not a very good bed.

Luther Oswalt
12-08-2009, 1:02 PM
Look at the Grizzly price for the DeWalt Scroll Saw ... they are the lowest price I have seen ... way under $500 ...
Leo

Bruce Page
12-08-2009, 2:01 PM
I have one, not a bad little saw. I replaced the table on it.

Here's my mini review;
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25527

Cameron Reddy
12-08-2009, 8:25 PM
I have the Dewalt Scroll saw and wish I had purchased a tiny band saw instead. I don't do scroll work... I have no idea what I was thinking. I cut small pieces for guitars... I think I'm going to try to sell the Dewalt and get that little BS. I looked at that saw today and I do think it seems a bit flimsy, however.

Dave Hasson
12-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Cameron, when you decide to sell the DeWalt, send me a PM. I'm looking for one and Ann Arbor is not that far from Chicago for a nice road trip.

Kevin Groenke
12-08-2009, 10:26 PM
We have 4 of the Craftsman (mod# 21400) versions of the Rikon 10". They've been used extensively for architectural modeling for a couple of years with relatively little complaint. They are underpowered and struggle with any wood thicker than 3/4". Blades are kinda hard to find, we ordered custom welded blades, but haven't as yet found the correct blade stock to get the most out of the saw. The rip fence is convenient,but not very robust, we've had to rebuild them somewhat and they're still cheesy (but better than none). The "euro-style" guide bearings are nice to have in such a little saw, though they seem like overkill. We've replaced many of the bearings, but our students cut a lot of foam, plaster, plastics and other stuff that's not particularly bandsaw friendly. Overall I'd say fine for he money as long as you don't expect it to be able to cut through 8/4 maple. There are many reviews of the 21400 on the web, the Rikon 150503 pics and specs look IDENTICAL to me.

It appears that Rikon"s current 10" #150503 (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080327/28906/Rikon-10-Bench-Top-Bandsaw.aspx) is slightly different than the 10-300 that Bruce and maybe Kyle refer to. Like the Craftsman 21400, the 150503 has more resaw capacity, a smooth cast iron table and rip fence which I BELIEVE the 10-300 did not have. (I actually returned 2 Rikon 10-300's when I discovered the 21400).

All of that said, a scroll saw does sound like a more appropriate tool for the task at hand of inlaying text in box lids: not sure how you would do that with a bandsaw:confused:

-kg

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/150503.jpg?rand=21433115http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00921400000-1?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sh arp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Mike Wilkins
12-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I got that same bandsaw to compliment my Laguna LT18, just for the small, quick scrolly stuff. The newer ones come with a rip fence, where my older model does not. Great for the small stuff, but don't expect it to cut any thick timbers with it.