PDA

View Full Version : Mobile base for PM3520!

Greg Ketell
12-08-2009, 12:46 AM
ToolNut just announced availability of an HTC mobile base for the PM3520 lathe. $310

Anyone have it and can provide feedback?

GK

Mike Wenman
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
ToolNut just announced availability of an HTC mobile base for the PM3520 lathe. $310

Anyone have it and can provide feedback?

GK

Goodness. I think I need to go check my wifes' phone to see if she has been talking to ToolNut. The other day after I picked up my PM3520 and brought her home, the LOML started asking if there was a way I could put it on wheels to move it around....egads!!

Harvey M. Taylor
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and get the hydraulic platform mechanics use to lift trannies and other things in place under the car. You can move it around, plus, you have a temporary work table and lots of other uses. I got one for about 200, but they have gone up a little, but are on sale from time to time. Our turning club saw mine and promptly went and bought one.You will never be sorry,imo. Max

Rob Damon
12-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I just picked up the threaded spindle type double locking casters from Woodcraft, about $17 each. Got them on a sale day for less. They have worked fine so far.

Rob

Dave Rudy
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and get the hydraulic platform mechanics use to lift trannies and other things in place under the car. You can move it around, plus, you have a temporary work table and lots of other uses. I got one for about 200, but they have gone up a little, but are on sale from time to time. Our turning club saw mine and promptly went and bought one.You will never be sorry,imo. Max

+ 1 on the HF hydraulic table. All you have to do is center the headstock, toolrest and tailstock, slide the table under the ways and use the foot pump and you can easily move the 3520 everywhere.

THe problem with all caster-type bases is they increase vibration by getting between the lathe weight and how it sits on the floor. If you just use hydraulics, no problem.

Cliff Holmes
12-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Go to Harbor Freight and get the hydraulic platform

They just went on sale for $200 (reg $260). I'm going to go pick one up in the morning, I have a 20% off coupon so I'll get it for $160! And to think I almost bought it at regular price last week ...

Scott Hubl
12-09-2009, 2:40 PM
Gotta Love that Hydraulic Table, makes it a Breeze to move the 3520B around. I bought the heavier duty one 1,100 Lbs. At the time I bought mine, they had 3 models to choose from, I see they only have 2 now a 500lb. and a 1,000lb. Get the 1,000 lb one to be on the Safe side, while it's on sale it is only 20 bucks more than the 500lb. one and if you can get a Coupon it will be Less.

Works great for lifting anything up to waist height.

jason lambert
12-09-2009, 3:22 PM
I might be intrested in this to I have the HF lift but with it I can't use the storage space underneath. A mobial base would be better.

JerHall
12-09-2009, 11:27 PM
HERE: http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_19f4xnj9&revision=_latest toward bottom of page.
I wouldn't want a mobility base that blocked easy foot access under the lathe, and you for sure want to lock the wheels, but much better is to lift the weight off the wheels.

Cheryl A. Prince
12-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Greetings, She who waits loses out! I wanted to buy the Harbour Freight hydraulic lift table for the discounted price of $200 and today it's only listed on their website for $259.99. A couple of days ago I know I saw it listed somewhere for the lower price. The sales person said if I could print out the page I can get it for the lesser price but I can't find that page again...heavy sigh. Can anyone help me locate that page ? Thanks!

Hilel Salomon
12-14-2009, 9:11 AM
+2 on the HF table. I have one in each of my shops and the things have paid for themselves many times over. For one thing, they have multiple uses. I got one just to be able to put the 3520 B together, keep it away from the lathe and use it when I want to reposition the lathe. I also use it to do any serious lifting.
In VA, I have used mine to help bring up large blanks to my lathe, and frequently use it to position my log splitter in the horizontal mode and bring up large logs for splitting. If I get something heavy on my truck, I use the tables to get the thing off of the truck and place it gently on the ground.

Regards, Hilel

Cliff Holmes
12-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Greetings, She who waits loses out! I wanted to buy the Harbour Freight hydraulic lift table for the discounted price of $200 and today it's only listed on their website for $259.99.

I went into HF last Thu afternoon. They had the table but only at $259.99. Luckily, I was able to pull up the sale price on my iPhone and got it for $199.99. Add on my 20% coupon and I was really pleased at $159.99

For $160, this thing is sweet! I also saw a mini pallet jack for <$37, I'm gonna go back for that later. Can't even find it on their website. I've been looking for one, but didn't want to shell out $300 or more.

Harvey M. Taylor
12-14-2009, 12:20 PM
A major disadvantage of casters on the lathe, no matter how tight you lock them, the lathe will wobble just enough to distract your turning. the lift is great for leveling the floor where it sits. Just mark where the feet sit, move the lathe, with a level reachint the farthest points, shim the1 floor up then set the lathe where you marked. much steadier, Max

Scott Crumpton
12-14-2009, 8:14 PM
I have a shop rule: If I can't lift it, it's got to have wheels.

I made a mobile base for my 1442 that's working great. The base is welded up from 4" steel angle. Basically a large pan that sits between the legs of the lathe with pockets sticking out from the sides for the lathe legs to set in. The legs are bolted into the pockets. The casters are mounted under wings that stick out from the sides of the pockets on the top. The whole assembly raised the height of the lathe by less than 1". When using the lathe, the casters are not in contact with the floor. I lift the ends of the base (with a crowbar) and insert blocks under the lathe legs.

Did I forget to mention that the "pan" is filled with concrete and that the base weighs as much as the lathe? :)

A mobile base for a lathe is not only possible, but if built right can improve stability.

---Scott.