PDA

View Full Version : Delta TP 305 Thickness Planer Weird Sound

eric staalsen
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a Delta tp 305 12.5" Thickness Planer- I have a problem- When I turn the thing on, I hear a intermitent High pitched skreech now and then- If I feed a board into the machine- while it is cutting - the screech is gone- But after the board comes out- the screech comes back about every 3-4 second it the sound screeches out for about 1 second or so- I removed the belt to see if the motor was making the sound- it purred quietly- so it must be in the bearring i think on the cutterhead or in the gears for the rollers or the rollers them selves- i took off the cover to check the chains on the rollers - not there either- Please help- Does someone know what I need to fix to get it quiet ??

mickey cassiba
12-08-2009, 5:37 AM
Eric,
How long has the planer been making the noise? I ask, because it sounds like the belt itself may be worn, or glazed. It's been awhile since I worked on a benchtop but if I recall correctly, the belt is a reddish poly-v(grooved) type. They get hard with age, and could make the noise you describe, slipping in a no load situation. Try a little shot of belt dressing on the pulley, and then fire it back up.
Mick

eric staalsen
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
I bought it used and it was like this when I got it- The belt doesn't seem to be slipping, but I will give that a try- Thanks