PDA

View Full Version : Manger on a Budget

Dan Manning
12-07-2009, 9:45 PM
My wife bought a Nativity scene from a consignment store, opened the box, the manger was missing.:mad: (It is a real nice set by the way...) So, she says 'I need you to make me a manger.' I said 'How old do you think I am?' :eek: (Cue the blank stare and crickets from her...)

I said 'Yes Dear.' (Avoiding the E.R.)
Shims for the roof from local BORG, all the rest from stock. I believe I got serious points between her mom and her for this...
No special woodwork done, just a quick project.

JohnT Fitzgerald
12-07-2009, 9:51 PM
Pretty nice for a 'quick project'!!

(I'm pretty sure they did not have electricity in Bethlehem...but the light in the display is a nice touch..... :rolleyes:

John Thompson
12-07-2009, 10:03 PM
A good decision to jump when told to "jump" Dan. ;) On top of J T F'ws observation of no lights in Bethlehem.. they probably didn't have radially sawn ply either but... the good news is that most outside of WW'ers know that so........ :D

Nice job and I'm sure you have been set up to perform some more equilavent task by doing such an outstanding job on this one. :)

Looks great....

gary Zimmel
12-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Nice job on the manger Dan.

And great job on the brownie points....

Myk Rian
12-08-2009, 8:16 AM
Good job. You saved your butt on that one. :)

Cody Colston
12-08-2009, 9:15 AM
Good save on the stable construction (a manger is a feed trough).

"Yes, Dear" is also the proper, politically correct reply, too. :D

Don Jarvie
12-08-2009, 1:46 PM
I'm filing away the idea of using shims for the roof shingles. A doll house is in my future so this is good info.

Dan Manning
12-08-2009, 4:00 PM
Thanks to all for responding. I guess I didn't check off the notification, I thought I just didn't get a response. After all the shingle roofs and siding work I've done, (Rehab, had to make it match...) the shims were a given for the material. Cut the large end off as per scale. I wanted to stagger them side to side, and to length, but she just said 'thats fine the way it is.' (Chorus: 'Yes, Dear'.)

I also understand the light issue, but seeings how they are downsizing the firehouses around here, candles were out of the equation.:eek: Next project: Shelves for my grandaughter's figurines. (I bought a new blade for the saw, and key-hole bit for the router. (I like the keyhole for hanging shelves. Snug to the wall and the bugle-head screws draw it tight.)

glenn bradley
12-08-2009, 6:02 PM
Very cool. Love the light idea.

Art Mulder
12-08-2009, 7:36 PM
My wife bought a Nativity scene from a consignment store, opened the box, the manger was missing.:mad: (It is a real nice set by the way...) So, she says 'I need you to make me a manger.'

Wise man.

I would have said: "but I see the manger right there with the baby Jesus laying in it". ;)

ps: nice job on the stable, by the way.