PDA

View Full Version : Can you successfully sharpen using a high speed grinder

Stephen Saar
12-07-2009, 9:17 PM
So my current tool sharpening set up is just using a standard high speed grinder with an 8" 100 grit pink wheel and using a Wolverine jig with the varigrind 1 for my gouges. I can't seem to get a really decent edge on my tools with it though. I can definitely get things sharper, but it always seems to leave a kind rough edge and it removes material too fast, so I can't usually get as smooth of a surface without waviness in it. I posted before on the main forum about this, and some people suggested it was just my methods that needed work and that you can get a nice edge with a high speed grinder, but so far I haven't been able to get what I consider a decent edge. So do you guys think you can reasonably get a decent edge with a high speed grinder or is a slow speed grinder pretty much needed?

-Stephen

George Morris
12-07-2009, 9:22 PM
To make it work you need a very light touch. Works for me. G

Dennis McGarry
12-07-2009, 9:29 PM
yes, and +1 on the light touch, remember you are sharpening not grinding, Very light touch, just enough pressure to prevent the tools from bouncing..

Also you didnt mention if your tools are HSS or regular steel? If HSS then there is no problem with sharpening at high speed, even the little blueing is not a problem the steel can take it.

if they are reg. steel then when you are sharpening you are taking out to much, (to much pressure) and that is at the same time creating excessive heat.

The other thing to watch for is a very smooth and consistant movement, do not let the tool stay in one place.

Dennis Ford
12-07-2009, 10:43 PM
+ 1 on Light touch! The machine needs to be smooth, vibration makes it more difficult to control the grinding. This is also true for slow speed grinders but the high speed ones are more sensitive to balance issues.

Dennis McGarry
12-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Also forgot to mention, get a diamond wheel dresser for it, Even more so with the high speed wheels, you will be wearing a grove in them faster and building up gunk. Need to keep the wheel flat and clean..

Curt Fuller
12-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I sure hope you can. If not, I've been doing it wrong for quite a long time.

Gordon Seto
12-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Wolverine (Oneway) recommends to use a high speed grinder.
As pointed out, the key is how smooth your grinder runs. If the tool is bouncing off the wheel, it would be difficult to control even if it is a slow speed grinder.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I would also suggest using higher grit wheels. I use the Woodcraft slow speed but changed the wheels so I have a 120 and 150 grit. As mentioned - you are sharpening and just need to touch the steel to the wheel and you are done. Also, the type of steel used does make a difference in the edge you get off the wheel.

Stephen Saar
12-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just not doing it correctly, I'll have to keep on practicing. Currently I have some cheap HSS tools that I bought to learn on. Gonna buy some Thompsons when I can, but I want to learn on my cheap tools before I grind away on a nicer tool.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll have to be patient and just keep at it.

-Stephen

David Walser
12-08-2009, 2:19 AM
Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just not doing it correctly, I'll have to keep on practicing. Currently I have some cheap HSS tools that I bought to learn on. ...

Practicing is the key. Assuming your wheel's been dressed properly and is in balance, you just need enough time at the grinder to learn the right feel. Then, sharpening will become second nature.

Note: For those of us who came to turning from carving or some other discipline, part of the learning curve is understanding what "sharp" means to a woodturner. The edge most turners consider sharp -- right off the grinder -- would not count as sharp in a lot of other types of woodworking.

Jim Koepke
12-08-2009, 2:35 AM
Note: For those of us who came to turning from carving or some other discipline, part of the learning curve is understanding what "sharp" means to a woodturner. The edge most turners consider sharp -- right off the grinder -- would not count as sharp in a lot of other types of woodworking.

Glad you said this, I was about to put my foot deep into my mouth over how a grinder is used to establish a bevel and then an edge is formed from there. I have a slow speed sharpening system that has a fine grit surface of 6 microns. I usually give my edges a little touch on a finer stone after that. Then again, I sometimes mess with the wife by going to the shop with a full beard and come back into the house with just a mustache.

First time kind of shook her up.

jim

Jim King
12-08-2009, 8:55 AM
Why dont you get a couple of old rasps at the flea market or a car spring and make a few tools. The practice you get from this will help you a lot.

Rob Young
12-08-2009, 9:00 AM
Yes but light touch followed by honing as needed.

Rob Cunningham
12-08-2009, 9:06 AM
It's important to use a light touch and keep the tool moving. Any dwelling will give an uneven surface. This is especially true with carbon steel which wears quicker than HSS

Dave Rudy
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Stephen,

Can you spend half an hour or so with someone who's a really good sharpener?

IMHO that is the best cure for what ails you. It is true that practice makes perfect -- if you're practicing the right way. If not, it just creates bad habits.

Having someone who knows how to sharpen and can tutor you teaches you what it looks and feels like to do it right and wrong. Then you can practice from there.

Bob Hallowell
12-08-2009, 11:07 AM
It's all I have ever used

MichaelA Cooper
12-08-2009, 4:36 PM
Oh man, am I gonna catch it for this post! :D
Why do you guys use grind stones to sharpen your tools?
I used to be a knife maker, and hope to be one again soon, and we use belt sanders to grind blades and sharpen them.
You can't get a better edge on a knife or chisel than using a belt sander. Knives I made years ago still have a razor edge on them. Just use the right grit belt and keep a bowl of water around to dip the tip in so it doesn't get too hot. You don't need any chisel rests or fancy holders or any of that stuff! I know this goes against everything written but it's a simple fact!