PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on used Jet 12"disk/6"belt sander?

Ken Platt
12-07-2009, 8:53 PM
Folks - I have a chance to get a 12 year old Jet sander, appears to be the same as the current model JSG-6DCK which goes for about $1000 new, it is being offered for $350. It's more machine than I need, but I've been thinking of upgrading from my little Delta 6" disk/4 inch belt which has served me well, but is, well, little, and a bit rickety. Allegedly it has seen "light use" in a home workshop. I've attached the picture I have below.

If it's in good shape, does that seem a reasonable price? Aside from turning it on and seeing that it runs smoothly, anything in particular I should check on it?

Thanks,

Ken

Bruce Page
12-07-2009, 9:02 PM
Ken, I don't know if the price is fair or not but a friend has the same Jet Sander and it is a stout machine.

Scott T Smith
12-07-2009, 9:31 PM
Ken, the Grizzly version (which is essentially exactly the same machine) is $575.00 new, so perhaps you can use that to negotiate the price down a bit.

Things to check are the bearings on the top roller for the 6" belt. They are usually the first ones to go. Turn it on and see if it tracks correctly. Also, remove the belt and check the platen area behind it to make sure that it is not severely worn in any spots. The entire surface should be straight and true. Take a straight edge with you to check it - probably a 12" one should be suitable.

Another thing to check is that there is no runout to speak of in the 12" disk.

David Christopher
12-07-2009, 9:48 PM
Ken, check the things that Scott said, if those are good then it would be a good price