PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Pot

Bob Haverstock
12-07-2009, 6:32 PM
The weather has turned cooler, so now it is turning time. This is a little cedar pot that I did a few weeks ago. It's about 6 inches in diameter and about 4.5 inches tall. I need to make a longer hook tool. I'm waiting for it to crack, do you think it will?

Bob Haverstock

Kenneth Whiting
12-07-2009, 6:35 PM
I hope it doesn't crack. That would be a terrible waste of such a fine piece. Good job.

David E Keller
12-07-2009, 8:36 PM
It's a pretty piece. I wouldn't bet against it cracking if you turned it green. Maybe the finish will slow the drying enough to keep it from cracking. Let us know how it turns out.

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Really nice looking piece. I hope it doesn't crack. I have found if I soak them with antique oil right after turning cedar has held up pretty well.

Jamie Straw
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM
What a pretty little pot, I hope it holds together, doesn't crack.

What type of cedar is it? I live in the Puget Sound area, lots of cedar available, but I've always thought it was too soft to turn.

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Nice work Bob! Cool form - really good looking wood!

Bob Haverstock
12-08-2009, 9:21 AM
What a pretty little pot, I hope it holds together, doesn't crack.

What type of cedar is it? I live in the Puget Sound area, lots of cedar available, but I've always thought it was too soft to turn.

Jamie,

All I can tell you is that is dead green turned cedar. Last spring I got about 12 linear feet of logs from a tree trimmer. Turning cedar is rewarding. This is the second pot that I've turned with the pith between centers.

I never pass up free cedar.

Bob

Jamie Straw
12-08-2009, 1:13 PM
Jamie,

All I can tell you is that is dead green turned cedar. Last spring I got about 12 linear feet of logs from a tree trimmer. Turning cedar is rewarding. This is the second pot that I've turned with the pith between centers.

I never pass up free cedar.

Bob

We have almost exclusively Western Red Cedar. I might play with some down the road. If you were in the Seattle area, I could gift you more cedar than you could turn in a year! Hubby had some logging done last summer, and they left behind 2 piles of alder and cedar trees that have tons of turning potential.

David Dobbs
12-08-2009, 7:20 PM
Had lunch with Bob a week ago Saturday he had this pot with him it is a nice piece

It is eastern red cedar it is the same cedar you would make a hope chest out of. turns really nice

Jamie Straw
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
It is eastern red cedar it is the same cedar you would make a hope chest out of. turns really nice

Ahhhhh, that is harder and denser than our Wester Red Cedar.