PDA

View Full Version : Should one joint lumber at Mill, then store?

bob frost
12-07-2009, 5:09 PM
I was wondering how long I might expect milled and surface jointed stock to last before it would need resurfacing? The hardwood mill is a good hour away and I was wondering if I should get them to joint the surface ( .75 pbf for two sides) snce I don't have a ready means to do this in my shop. My concern is that if I don't use the lumber in the next couple of months that it might need re jointing.

glenn bradley
12-07-2009, 5:47 PM
My shop is a very mild SoCal environment. Anything I mill would need attention after 2 months for sure. I generally perform assembly a max of 2 weeks after milling. I usually mill parts as I go to avoid these issues. Mill, set for 2-3 days, touch-up and use.

Ken Shoemaker
12-07-2009, 6:51 PM
+1 for Glenn from Chicago

Paul Johnstone
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I was wondering how long I might expect milled and surface jointed stock to last before it would need resurfacing? The hardwood mill is a good hour away and I was wondering if I should get them to joint the surface ( .75 pbf for two sides) snce I don't have a ready means to do this in my shop. My concern is that if I don't use the lumber in the next couple of months that it might need re jointing.

Oh man, My experience is that it's a total crapshoot. I have had some S2S wood that has sat for years, and could use without jointing, just plane to thickness.

Other stuff, when I join it, it bows/warps overnight. :mad:

I don't really know what to advise. (I buy most of my wood rough). Are you talking about having them plane it down to 3/4"?

Philip Rodriquez
12-08-2009, 4:50 PM
You have received great advice here. If you have the equipment to machine it, machine it. If you do not, have them do it.

Ideally, do it all yourself. This allows you to let the stock acclimate to your shop and will yied perfect parts, for all of your projects.

bob frost
12-08-2009, 9:19 PM
Thanks to all for your response. Very helpful!