PDA

View Full Version : water based paint

Erik Amsterdam
12-07-2009, 2:40 PM
When you want to spray with waterbased paint is it necessary to use special spraypaint or can i use normal waterbased paint.

Phil Phelps
12-07-2009, 2:58 PM
When you want to spray with waterbased paint is it necessary to use special spraypaint or can i use normal waterbased paint.

Are you speaking of latex, or acrylic paint? You can spray either from a siphon and siphon HVLP. It is not recommended, however you can and will have fair results. I wouldn't spray a wall, or room, let alone a house. Waterborne lacquers and polys work well with that equipment.

Erik Amsterdam
12-07-2009, 3:26 PM
I mean acrylic paint .I want to spray it with a accuspray 230.Can i do that with normal acrylic paint or do i need special spray paint.I want to paint a door.

Thanks,Erik

Phil Phelps
12-07-2009, 5:08 PM
As much as I don't recommend it, you certainly can and have pretty good results. You will have to thin it down with water about 50% to atomize the paint so it will flow instead of sputtering. You'll have to experiment with the reduction. Start at about 20%. You will need several coats and there is no need to flood the door. If may also change the sheen of the paint you are using to a slightly flatter appearance. I would lay it flat to finish it, however.

Jamie Buxton
12-07-2009, 5:38 PM
My experience hasn't been as positive as Phil's. I have an Accuspray HVLP which I think is now sold as the 230. I tried to shoot waterborne paint from the home center with it, and wasn't happy. If I didn't thin it, the paint just sputtered out of the gun. When I thinned it far enough to get it to spray, I had constant troubles with runs. I gave up on it. Instead I use pigmented waterborne lacquer. I use lacquer from Target Coatings and universal colorants to color it, or buy it pre-colored from Homestead Finishing. It shoots with the Accuspray without any thinning.

Phil Phelps
12-07-2009, 7:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jamie Buxton;1277370]My experience hasn't been as positive as Phil's.
Now that's funny Jamie. I'm the guy who slams spraying paint through a siphon gun most of the time. You do have to reduce it way beyond the manufacturers recommendation, but if your in a pinch, well. But sadly, many buy a spray gun thinking house painting.

Erik Amsterdam
12-08-2009, 8:55 AM
Thanks Fil and Jamie.

So hvlp is not the best method to spray acrylic laquers.
What do you advise me to spray small objects whithout much overspray.Thanks for advice

Erik

Phil Phelps
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I've never used acrylic lacquer. How small?

Erik Amsterdam
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Phil

I try to tell you my problem.I have a hot airless where i can spray doors ,panels and also walls.The problem is that it go very fast and there is much lacque.I also want to spray door en window frames so i am looking for a machine to do that job.I am living in Amsterdam(Netherlands its not aloud here to spray inside houses whit polys..I hope you understand.

Phil Phelps
12-08-2009, 6:35 PM
Phil

I try to tell you my problem.I have a hot airless where i can spray doors ,panels and also walls.The problem is that it go very fast and there is much lacque.I also want to spray door en window frames so i am looking for a machine to do that job.I am living in Amsterdam(Netherlands its not aloud here to spray inside houses whit polys..I hope you understand.

I think I understand. You have an airless and it is too much for the small job you want to spray. You can not spray lacquer, a solvent product. You want to spray latex or acrylic, water base paint. I don't recommend an air driven gun for the project. I have used one of those electric guns, but I was not happy with the results. For a small job, I'd use a nylon brush and a enamel roller cover and brush out the strokes the best I could. I'm sorry that is all the suggestions I have. I hope this helps. Phil

Erik Amsterdam
12-09-2009, 4:11 AM
Phil

Thanks for answering.Its not aloud here to spray solvents inside houses.I dont no if there is other equipment to spray acrylic for the smaller jobs.
It was nice to talk about it with someone on the other side of the world

Erik

Phil Phelps
12-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Phil

Thanks for answering.Its not aloud here to spray solvents inside houses.I dont no if there is other equipment to spray acrylic for the smaller jobs.
It was nice to talk about it with someone on the other side of the world

Erik
Same here, Erik. I hope you find a solution and works well.
Phil