PDA

View Full Version : JDS Multi Router

Paul Canaris
12-07-2009, 1:41 PM
Who owns a JDS multi router, I would like to hear your opinions on the good and bad (if there are any) aspects of this machine. I am looking to simplify the number of jigs I have for Tenon, Mortise and Dovetails...shop space is simply too tight. Would also like to correspond off line if anyone is open to that. I am located in Central Texas and would also love to see on in action as opposed to a leap of faith decisions. I understand Mr. Marks thinks quite highly of this so I assume it is a “go to kind of machine”.

Scott Morrison
12-07-2009, 2:04 PM
I own one Paul, and have nothing but great things to say about the machine. Feel free to call or email me for more information. Both contacts can be found on my website:

http://www.finewoodworker.com

Cheers!

Paul Canaris
12-07-2009, 2:18 PM
I will be taking you up on that offer.:)

Thomas S Stockton
12-07-2009, 2:41 PM
I have one and have used them since they first came out. I only use it to make mortises, so I really can't comment on the assorted tenon and other jigs you can get with it. The other thing is that it has gotten fairly expensive and their are other options out there that cost the same or are cheaper. I also have a festool Domino which since I've gotten it my multi router is used a whole lot less although for the work I do it is really nice to have both.
Tom

Tom Davis
12-07-2009, 4:47 PM
I moved from a Multi Router from a Leigh FMT after finding a real good deal on the Multi Router. I have found the Multi Router to be very "repeatable". However, the FMT was intuitively easier to set up for me and much less expensive. I am a hobbyist and do not use the Multi Router on a daily basis. My setup time is improving rapidly.

However, I would not trade my Multi Router back for a FMT.

Tom

Sam Layton
12-07-2009, 4:57 PM
Paul, I have the Multi-Router and like it a lot. So far I have just used it for mortises. I just completed an interior door, and used my multi-router to cut the mortises. You can see how I used it on page 5 of the projects forum under Interior door build. Contact me anytime if you have questions.

Sam

Paul Canaris
12-07-2009, 7:07 PM
Part of my difficulty in making this decision is whether to get the Multi Router or a Slot Mortiser. I allready have a leigh DT Jig, so I cant see the Multi Router being an improvement there. I guess it is jut going to take a while to figure out. I may be visiting an owner of a Multi Router locally to see one for myself, that always seems to help.:eek:

Sam Layton
12-07-2009, 7:33 PM
Paul, I think your decision should be based on the kind of work you are going to do. Furniture, and small to medium items the Multi-Router is great. I think larger items the slot mortiser would be better in my opinion. I think you can do more with the Multi-Router. I did my door mortises with the M-R. It was fine. However, I think a slot mortiser would have been better because of the size of the stiles and rails. I would like to have a slot mortiser in addition to the M-R.

Sam

Mike Heidrick
12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Laguna Platnium Horizontal slot mortiser and a Leigh Super FMT and a Domino would all three cost less than a multi router.

There are plans to build a DIY multi router.

At the end of the day the MR is still a router and you are limited in depth by the length of the cutter.

It is still LOUD like a router.

All that being said - I still want one.

Mike Hollingsworth
01-19-2010, 9:31 PM
After adding the digital readout, mine has been the foundation of all precision in my shop for 15 years. Tenons and SHOULDERS are perfect.
It's cost has doubled since I bought mine. I wonder if I'd shell out for it today. It wears out bearings on routers though, expecially if you let your brother use it.

Mike Heidrick
01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
If I knew then what I know now!