PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a used cordless tool?

dennis thompson
12-07-2009, 1:12 PM
There is a 12v used Makita cordless drill on Craigslist ,says it works fine.
Would you buy a used cordless tool?,obviously I have my doubts but it's only $25 so the risk is small
Thanks
Dennis

Harold Burrell
12-07-2009, 1:39 PM
There is a 12v used Makita cordless drill on Craigslist ,says it works fine.
Would you buy a used cordless tool?,obviously I have my doubts but it's only $25 so the risk is small
Thanks
Dennis

I never have...but that is not to say that I never would. I would definitely try it first. If it works...why not??? Tho you might want to pick up a new battery before long...

Brett Baldwin
12-07-2009, 1:43 PM
The main risk with that is that the battery isn't holding a charge anymore. The batteries always fail at some point so it is a surety that you are on the back end of the useful life, even if it works now. You may want to check on new battery prices before making your decision.

Lee Schierer
12-07-2009, 1:46 PM
I did, but it was from a fellow creeker and they have worked fine for several years.

Larry Fox
12-07-2009, 1:50 PM
Would you buy a used cordless tool?

Absolutely - I bought a used scrub plane from a fellow Creeker just last week. :D Sorry, could not reist.

As to your real question, I would if I could pick it up and examine it before purchase. I would also have some concern about battery life.

Eric DeSilva
12-07-2009, 2:10 PM
I'd probably go one step further, presume you have to buy a new battery, and think about the price that way. If it is still a deal in your mind, buy it.

As I think about it, I've probably only bought one cordless tool used--a 10.8V Bosch Lion drill. But, I've got several of the compatible drivers and the impact driver, so I've got a bunch of compatible batteries...

kent borcherding
12-07-2009, 3:21 PM
You may want to check to see if it was made in Japan or China.

I would probably pass on one made in China.

If batteries are weak it costs less to rebuild them than buy new.

Prashun Patel
12-07-2009, 3:50 PM
I wouldn't. My guess is it's fairly old, which means the bats will be run down. Replacements will put you over $50-75 all in, which isn't worth it.

If yr going to buy a used drill, get a LiIon tool body only, and then budget for new batts.

The tool bodies themselves usually hold up pretty well.

Brian Penning
12-07-2009, 4:21 PM
You said it yourself with "the risk is small".

John McClanahan
12-07-2009, 5:32 PM
Most of my tools were used when I bought them, so I can't say no, don't buy it. But, as others have said, if the batteries are at the end of their life, it may not be much of a deal.

John

Bob Aquino
12-07-2009, 6:27 PM
Assume the batteries are not too good, but otherwise if it looks in good shape, go for it. Its actually a good way to pick up other tools that may take the same battery that you currently have. Many times folks sell only the bare tool at a bargain price which is a great deal if you dont have to buy batteries and a charger just for it.

John O'Brien
12-07-2009, 9:55 PM
Dennis:

Would you take a free Ryobi 12V cordless drill with 2 batteries and a case?? If you want to come to Monroe, it's yours:)

The batteries work, but don't hold a charge a real ,long time. I got a good deal on a Dewalt and don't need 2.

Let me know.

John

Kevin Barnett
12-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't. This week Ace is running the DeWalt 18v compact drill for $79 with two batteries. That's a much better deal.

Jim Finn
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I just bought a used 9.4V Nicad makita impact tool with two batteries and a charger and a case for $79. I have two others that I have had since 2000. All working fine. Nicads are MUCH more rugged than any other type of batteries. Hard to kill them.

Tony Baideme
12-08-2009, 3:14 AM
I have, and would again, as long as I could check the tool before buying.

I wouldn't. This week Ace is running the DeWalt 18v compact drill for $79 with two batteries. That's a much better deal.

Kevin, where is ACE showing this sale? I can't find it on any of their web ads.

Aloha, Tony

John O'Brien
12-09-2009, 1:12 PM
I made a mistake in my above reply.

"Would you take a free Ryobi 12V cordless drill with 2 batteries and a case?? If you want to come to Monroe, it's yours:)"

should have said it was a 14.4 volt.

Anyone interested in it??? It is FREE!!!:D

John

Mike OMelia
12-09-2009, 1:21 PM
It would depend on the tool. Is it a high end model or low end model? Battery prices would kill the deal for a low end model. But then, if you are on a tight budget regardless, and can afford the batteries, but not a new lowend model, then go for it. Like someone else said, the bodies will almost always out last the batteries (several generations perhaps). Just make sure the clutch and transmission are tight. This may actually require new batteries to prove!

Mike