PDA

View Full Version : Cord Problem??

Cassondra Bennett
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
So heres the latest problem.....Uhhhhhh!!

When I recieved the Radius I just bought there was only a power cord....no cord to connect the machine to the computer. I called Epilog and they said no worries you just need a parallel/USB cord so I got one and after over an hour on the phone with epilog we got it going.....BUT.....its not transmitting all the information....he explained why but it was greek to me.....the machine isnt getting all the info from the computer because of the cord.....the job goes to the machine but doesnt show up on the screen so you cant scroll threw your jobs because you cant see them! I had to move the computer and unhooked the cord now its not working at all I am so frustrated!!
Epilog says you cant get these cords any more is there any where else I can get one??:mad:

I just wanna get this thing going!!!

Dan Hintz
12-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Is this an older system that uses a parallel cable? If you get the correct connectors on each end, a USB cable is the same regardless of where you get it, but not all parallel cables are made the same (serial is even worse). Does the Radius support Ethernet?

Darryl Hazen
12-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Data Specs from Epilog call out Parallel Printer cable.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/radius_techspecs.htm

Tom Bull
12-07-2009, 2:14 PM
I have used a parallel to usb adapter for 2 years. I have an intermittant problem with extra lines in engravings, but the files go through just fine. I am currently in the process of setting up a LAN here in the house and putting the engraver on the network. Because I may be in the lower 10 percentile of computer savvy the set up has been slow going. Epilog tech support is fabulous and has been very helpful and patient with me.
So bottom line from someone who is just giving anectdotal advise: The problem with getting the files to show up on your screen is probably not due to the cable. My GUESS is something to do with your driver delivering the info to the machine. In my situation I have to always plug the usb cable into the same usb port on the computer.
Hope this is of some help.

Cassondra Bennett
12-07-2009, 2:52 PM
It is an older machine and doesn't support ethernet

Some one said parallel cables are not all the same is it possible that the parellel cable is the wrong kind?

How do I know if its the wrong one? and how do I get the right one??

Dan Hintz
12-07-2009, 2:58 PM
Some cables (serial are notorious for this) do not include all of the lines necessary for bi-way communications (to save money on reduced line count). If your equipment needs these lines to talk in both directions, you need a cable that has those lines.

Note, this may not be your problem...

Peck Sidara
12-07-2009, 3:03 PM
Drawing from memory here Cassondra. When I was supporting the Radius I recall two types of parallel cables, standard & enhanced.

Standard is basic data transfer. Enhanced was gold plated pins & sold as super fast data transfer.

We always recommended the plain Jane basic parallel cable.

Keep the length to a minimum.

Try to avoid converters (serial/USB to parallel) as these can cause communication issues.

When Windows 98 was out, we also recommended using the "standard" printer port and not the "ECP enhanced" printer port. This is the type of printer port you select when installing the driver.

HTH,

George D Gabert
12-07-2009, 3:46 PM
Also if you are using a laptop this may be a problem as not all laptop parallel port interupts are the same.

GDG

Brian Jacobs
12-07-2009, 3:56 PM
Cassondra,

I'm not famaliar with the Epilog model but I have been involved the the computer industry for 'too' many years. I have never had 100% reliability with converter cables (ie- parallel to USB, etc.) I believe you can not afford even an intermittent communication problem because, sure enough it will happen when you are engraving the customer's one-of-a-kind or a really expensive piece of crystal.

I would recommend ordering online or visiting your nearest computer store and purchasing a parallel printer card for your computer (about $19). Also, as mentioned before, use a short, high quality parallel printer cable. You should be fine.

Tony Lenkic
12-07-2009, 3:56 PM
Cassondra,

I remember years ago when setting up my machine regular parallel cable was causing same issues you have. I needed a cable 10' long so I bought this cable: "Belkin Pro Series High Speed IEEE 1284" and all worked fine.
Go to your local computer store and ask if they have it.

Brian Jacobs
12-07-2009, 4:00 PM
Another thought, you did not mention whether you are using a laptop or not. If you are using a laptop, USB ports are notoriously under-powered. If the cable converter you purchased was passive (no power plug), your problem probably lies with an underpowered USB port.

John Noell
12-07-2009, 4:19 PM
Converter cables (e.g., USB-Parallel, USB-RS232, etc) use an embedded chip to convert the signals and different chips work best - or worse - in different scenarios. Avoid them if you possibly can. Unlike serial cables, almost all parallel (IEEE 1284) cables wil have all necesary lines.

Cassondra Bennett
12-08-2009, 8:02 AM
So yesterday I post a question about the cord....get a lot of great feedback.....Thanks to all who offered help!! and decide I will take the cord I have off the machine and take it along with all my notes that contain everyones input and go to the computer place for a new cord......but.......before I do I decided to try it one more time!! I unplugged everything.......sat and looked at it for a little bit while I had a glass of wine and then hooked it all back up and BAM!!! it worked like a charm!!!!!!!
so I was FINALLY able to do a few jobs which was AWESOME!!!!!! and soooooo EXCITING!!!

I am a little nervous about it though.......should I still get the other cord??? is it likely to be a problem down the road? maybe I will wait and see if everything works today:confused::confused:

Thanks again to everyone who offered thier input this place is AWESOME! Definitely takes a bit of the stress out of doing this on my own knowing there is a whole group of people who have been there and done that waiting to help:D

Dan Hintz
12-08-2009, 8:34 AM
Unless the cord is broken in some way, if it works now, a failure in the future will not be due to the cord. Keep it.

John Noell
12-08-2009, 1:03 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! (With Windows, your experience is rather typical. Sometimes it just needs time to pull itself back together.)

Bill Cunningham
12-08-2009, 8:45 PM
There!! Now you know the secret.. Always keep a bottle of wine beside your laser.. :D