PDA

View Full Version : Is this a gloat..?

Fred Perreault
12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I have seen many pics of members' wood piles, and free pickins'. I just had a portable Wood Mizer mill at my place for a day and a half. I had him take a thick slab off of the top of many of the logs for turning, and then had him saw to various thicknesses. I had hemlock, red and white oak, black cherry, ash, soft maple and lowland cedar. I must have about 1100 ft. of lumber, plus the thick slabs. It cost about 55-60 cents per foot, and 90% of the material is excellent. These trees went up to 32" inside the bark. I was ablt to get it all into my 2 car garage for air drying. There is a rented apartment above the garage, and the garage has not seen a car inside it for more than 10 years.
later,
Fred

Steve Schlumpf
12-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Fred - congrats on all the wood! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of some of those slabs!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Fred,

It would be a bigger gloat if it was in my shop!:rolleyes:

Nice gloat!

Mike Minto
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
yeah...that qualifies :rolleyes:.

John Keeton
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice haul! I am not all that familiar with the weather on the cape, but in a closed garage, I would be careful about mold, rust on metal in the garage, etc. That is a lot of wood, and a lot of moisture to be released in a closed garage. Can you leave the door partially cracked from the bottom, or create some air circulation?

Wayne Sparkman
12-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Very nice!

Can't quite make it out in the picture--have you coated/sealed the ends of all the boards? If not, best do that real soon.

Dennis Ford
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
+1 on circulating some outside air, at least until you get it down to about 20% moisture.

That is definitely a gloat!

Bernie Weishapl
12-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Yep thats a gloat and congrats on some nice looking wood.

Rick Hutcheson
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Yep that is a gloat. The only thing that would have made it better is if it was your mill and it didn't cost anything to get it cut. You have a lot of good looking stock to work with there.

charlie knighton
12-07-2009, 1:24 PM
yep.......

Jake Helmboldt
12-07-2009, 6:53 PM
You also need to watch for frass from bugs. You don't want an infestation in the garage.

Jim Underwood
12-07-2009, 6:56 PM
Whoa! That's a lot a wood...

Road Trip! All pile in and go to Fred's house! :D

Jim Kountz
12-07-2009, 8:45 PM
Folks what we have here is a verified GLOAT!!

Fred Perreault
12-07-2009, 9:48 PM
The garage I put the wood in is at least 40-45 degrees all winter. I, too, am concerned about air circulation and I have opened the doors every day when the sun was not shining directly on the wood. One can easily feel the moisture when entering the building, so clearing the air regularly will be important. I did seal all the logs with Anchor Seal. I am familiar with wood insects, as I have had wood piles from logs before. I slabbed some red oak 15 years ago, and did not take the bark off. Bugs, borers, bugs, borers, sawdust from bugs everywhere. I made "wormwood" furniture with it, and called it a "feature". A feature.... kinda sounds like Microsofts' bugs eh?
Fred