PDA

View Full Version : 8 minute finial video

Paul Atkins
12-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I had to make these this week so I caught one on video. These are finials for a cabinet project for one of my customers. They needed a 3/8" hole in the base, so I used them to center them on the lathe with a brass pin in the faceplate. Hot glue works well for this type of operation as they will just pop off at the end. http://vimeo.com/8019384

Rick Hutcheson
12-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Great video on how you did that finial. I could have done without the 60's piano bar music and more voice of what you were doing.
On the square spindle video, the tool rest, are you just running steel guides on the wood without any type of rollers? How do you keep the steel from burning or cutting into the jig? Is that more of a metal lathe type rest, I have not seen a wood rest without rollers? It sure looks like the system worked good for the application you had set up.

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Paul - thanks for the video! More than anything else - I sure appreciate your tool control! Very nice work!

Maybe it's my age....... I liked the music, especially the bass!

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Great video Paul. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Bolen
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks for another great Vid. Paul. I really enjoyed watching your sure handed tool control in action and appreciated your inventivness with your homemade tooling. Gotta find me some of those planner blades!...Bill..

Ken Glass
12-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Paul,]
Great video. I actually liked the musical accompaniment. Very well done, and I agree your tool control is great too.

Richard Madison
12-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Cool vid Paul. Enjoyed seeing the shop made tools in action.

John Keeton
12-07-2009, 7:38 AM
Fantastic! Paul, thanks so much for doing these - they are so, so helpful to us newbies. I had been on the fence about which tool to get next, but clearly it will be a fingernail grind detail gouge - at least I think that is what that is called?!?

Tim McClelland
12-07-2009, 8:34 AM
Love it. I hope I can be that good someday. You made it look so easy. Great jazz background

Keith Harrell
12-07-2009, 9:03 AM
Nice video and tool control. You make it all look so smooth and easy. I really like the custom tools you made. Now I know what to do with that stack of old joiner blades.

Terry Quiram
12-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Very nice video. I really like your home made tools. I am a firm beliver in making before buying.

Mark Hubl
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Paul,

I really appreciate your vids. Quality of your work is great and so is the quality of your videos. Look forward to the next one.

charlie knighton
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
thanks for sharing, very nice work

Dick Strauss
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Paul,
Another excellent video...well done sir!:cool:

It's great that you add the voiced comments over the lathe and background noise. Often when videos are recorded all at once, you can't hear the helpful comments about what and why they are doing this or that.

Keep up the good work!

Bill Wilcox
12-07-2009, 1:43 PM
Great videos Paul!!!! I heard on one of your vid's that you used some type of sandpaper I have never heard of. Sounded like Japanese brand.
Could you please post a link to where you buy this?
Thanks,
Bill Wilcox

Paul Atkins
12-07-2009, 2:25 PM
I used to get this paper locally, but found this site. This is the best paper I've tried and have been using it for 15 years. Very consistant grit and it lasts way longer than any other. http://www.2sand.com/servlet/the-606/9x11-Eagle-Finkat-aluminum/Detail?category=Sandpaper+Sheets%3AAluminum+Oxide

Bob Stroman
12-07-2009, 2:58 PM
I used to get this paper locally, but found this site. This is the best paper I've tried and have been using it for 15 years. Very consistant grit and it lasts way longer than any other. http://www.2sand.com/servlet/the-606/9x11-Eagle-Finkat-aluminum/Detail?category=Sandpaper+Sheets%3AAluminum+Oxide
Great video Paul. I'm anxious to watch more of them. Your videographer is so steady and patient while hanging from the ceiling.

We also have Finkat in packs of 10 sheets per grit which is easier on the wallet. Look under the Sandpaper Sheets (http://www.2sand.com/servlet/the-Sandpaper-Sheets/Categories) > Aluminum Oxide (http://www.2sand.com/servlet/the-Sandpaper-Sheets-cln-Aluminum-Oxide/Categories) category.

Jim Koepke
12-07-2009, 5:44 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the video. As a newbie at this, this helps me to learn a little technique and also showed me what may be wrong with the beading tool of my making.

jim

Harvey Ghesser
12-07-2009, 8:50 PM
Thourougly enjoyed your video, Paul and very impressed with your lathe skills! Outstanding presentation!:D

Harv

Michael Short
12-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Great video Paul !!! Thanks for showing the use of the various tools. This is very helpful to us beginners learning how to use the tools better.

Bob Hamilton
12-08-2009, 2:52 PM
Another good one, Paul! It is always nice to see different methods and approaches.

Take care
Bob