PDA

View Full Version : Autocad

Dahl Troy Perry
12-06-2009, 6:35 PM
I just upgraded my computer to windows 7 64 bit and found out that my autocad 2000 won't load it says that it is not compatable with 64 bit. Has anyone ran into this and is there a patch I have not found one yet. I'm lost without my cad program.:confused::confused:

Dahl

Rob Fisher
12-06-2009, 7:41 PM
If I remember correctly, at my last job the lead draftsman had to get a different version of ACA 2009 for his Vista 64 bit machine. In other words there was a specific version of ACA 2009 just for 64 bit.

Since the program you are running is over 9 years old I going to guess that you are out of luck, unfortunately, as AutoCAD is not usually very helpful with anything but their latest software. IMO.

You might try contacting AutoCAD directly or try the forums on AUGI. They can be rather helpful.

Rob

Thomas Bank
12-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Your old version of ACAD won't run on 64-bit. But I think that there is a way to run "legacy" programs at 32-bit.

joe oski
12-08-2009, 7:08 AM
considering the price for autocad, I'd suggest downgrading to windoze7 32 bit

Something I've done in the past is make the computer dual booting. Although at that time it was to give me a clean machine so my video editor was the only thing occupying system resources. Huge speed improvement- HUGE

Blake-Kagen
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Do as I do...I use AC2004 & 2000, 2000 being my choice and I use it 10 to 1 over 2004.
I have one computer with Win 2000 Pro that I run AC2000 on and keep it connected to my plotter. My personal opinion is AC2000 is the best and it does everything I want it to do so I have no intentions of ever upgrading.
I also have a computer with Win. 98 on it and AC2000.
You can buy an inexpensive Dell refurbished computer and put either Win 98 or 2000 in it and keep on getting on with AC2000. My refurbished Dell 2350 is 8 years old and all I've done to it is upgrade the memory in it and honestly I can tell no difference in how AC2000 works than before. I think most all my buddies that run cad have a dedicated computer just for cad just like myself.

lowell holmes
12-08-2009, 1:21 PM
ACAD2000 does all of the functions I use, but the files are twice the size of ACAD2004. You must also maintain a utility programin oeder to open files created with a later version. Of course that's true with ACAD2005 as well.

Most of the stuff I do for woodworking don't really require 2004 and later.

Blake-Kagen
12-08-2009, 3:51 PM
When I move a drawing from 2000 over to 2004 all I do is put it on a floppy disk and open it in 2004 and I have no problems. If I want to do some work on the drawing in 2004 then I'll save it as a 2004 file and a 2000 file so I can transfer it back to 2000.
As I stated in my earlier post I use 2000 10 - 1 over 2004 but I do have a client that uses 2004 so that's why I'll transfer it into 2004 and save it as a 2004 file for her.
I keep no utility program but such as it is all computers and how their arrogant systems work could make things different for their uses.

lowell holmes
12-09-2009, 8:35 AM
Your still usig floppies? :)

I gave up on them when the drives disappeared from the computers.

I thought I was the old dog here.

Blake-Kagen
12-09-2009, 12:58 PM
lol no way I give up the floppies. A couple years ago I was at a Walmart and they had their Emachines on sale. I bought one as a back up and when I got home and was setting it up there was no floppy drive. I went back to the store and asked the young man about it and he said they didn't put them on the new computers and I was about the 12th one that had asked him about it that was a lot older than him. I started laughing and he said but ah!, I have the solution for you older folks and produced me an external floppy drive. So I bought the external and am ok with that. The computer came with Vista in it and nothing I had would run on it not even AC2004. I took it to my computer nerd ( lot younger than me) and told him to kick Vista out and put XP in...he laughed and said I've got several more to do the same thing too. So far it's been a good machine and the only problems I have with it is sometimes not wanting to recognizing the floppy from Win. 2000 and 98.
Maybe we ought to start a floppy drive forum for us ancient ones. :-)

lowell holmes
12-09-2009, 5:44 PM
I've gone to thumb drives (memory sticks). They are inexpensive and hold a lot of data. I had an external floppy drive, but experienced difficulty with reading the disks. I was still working and everyone at work uses the thumb drives.

You moved to Vista, but I am stubbornly hanging on to XP. I'm not sure ACAD 2005 will run on 7. I'm not buying another seat in ACAD at his time and I decline to use cracked copies.

Blake-Kagen
12-11-2009, 10:47 AM
I may try a thumb drive. I didn't upgrade to Vista. I had it removed and XP installed.
As far as upgrading cad...no more. What I have now serves me well and I don't need all the new frilly bells and whistles. I've notice on Ebay that ac2000 is beginning to bring higher prices. I'm getting to old to learn all the new frilly bells and whistles especially when I have no need for them. My mind is full, no room for anymore junk in it. lol
Happy Holidays Everyone!

Leo Voisine
12-25-2009, 8:58 AM
I had ACAD 2000 on win 98 - it ran fine

Then I got a new machine with win xp - and could not load ACAD 2000

I was able to procure ACAD 2004 and that was fine on win xp.

Now I have solidworks - and I don't think I will ever go back to ACAD.

Pat Stewart
12-25-2009, 9:36 AM
I just run in to this problem w/ ACAD 2004 on Win 7. I right clicked on the ACAD desktop shortcut, clicked properties and then clicked the Compatibility tab. Under the Compatibility mode I chose Win XP (SP 3) and shazam, ACAD worked. Will ACAD 2000 do the same?.........

Blake-Kagen
01-11-2010, 4:00 PM
Pat I have a friend using 2000 in XP but not WIn 7. He told me someone else mentioned to him that 2000 wouldn't work that way. As I stated earlier in another post, 2000 does everything I want it to do so I use it in a dedicated computer for cad only with Wn 2000 pro. I also have 2004 and use it on a machine with XP but not Win 7.
You might give one of the dedicated Autocad forums a shot at your question. I would be interested in knowing also.

Lee Schierer
01-11-2010, 4:46 PM
We used to have an e-machine, but found they use a lot of off the wall components and drivers and support if you needed it was terrible. If you called about a problem, they blamed the software and told you to call the software company. The software company blamed the hardware.

When floppies went away, from new computers, I switched to memory sticks and haven't looked back. They hold more and fit in your pocket. They also survive the washing machine at least once. DAMHIKT Floppies tend to go bad just sitting on the shelf.

I'm not familiar with Vista so I can't help with teh Acad problem.