PDA

View Full Version : Greene & Greene Box

Cody Colston
12-06-2009, 6:29 PM
and the box making binge continues...

This is my interpretation of a Greene and Greene box. I tried to incorporate as many G&G elements as I could into it such as the cloudlift cutouts on the base, the carved zig-zags, the protruding, rounded box joints, the raised, overhanging breadboard ends on the lid and the use of Ebony for accents.

The primary wood is Mesquite, the hinges and accents are Ebony and the bottom is Aromatic Cedar. The lock mechanism is a half-mortise from Rockler and the finish is Zinnser spray Shellac.

Dimensions are 11 1/4" wide, 5 1/2" tall and 8 3/8" deep.

Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
12-06-2009, 6:38 PM
Cody, I think you have all the elements covered!! That is one of the more interesting boxes I have seen. What inspired you to do G&G on a box - very unique! I have never worked with mesquite, but it certainly looks good in this project.

Cody Colston
12-06-2009, 6:49 PM
Thanks, John.

What inspired me? I just like G&G furniture and since I've been on a box-building spree, I thought it would make for an interesting box.

I showed my turnings at an Art show in October and I kept my receipts in an Elm and Mesquite box that I had made. I got more interest and offers for the box than I did for my turnings. :D So, I decided to make some boxes to show next year along with turned items. This is the third box in the last 2 + weeks that I've been off work. (I work 2 wks on 2 wks off)

But, I sold one already and LOML is giving another away for Christmas so I'll have to step up the box-making pace if I want to have any for the art show next year. :)

Clara Koss
12-06-2009, 7:00 PM
very lovely.... ;)

Jack Camillo
12-06-2009, 7:17 PM
Great work there, thanks for sharing.

gary Zimmel
12-06-2009, 8:50 PM
That box is way too cool Cody...

Thanks for the look see.

Ted Calver
12-06-2009, 9:53 PM
Cody,
That's a great looking box and I think your idea of adding boxes to your show display is a good one. On a humorus note...I could see you with a pile of neat boxes under the table pretending to sell the bowls on display and letting customers sweet talk you out of a series of really cool reciept boxs :)

Bruce Page
12-06-2009, 10:09 PM
You did G&G proud!
Was the lock difficult to do?

glenn bradley
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Ooh, I like it. Great use of the G&G elements Cody. The wood hinges are keeping with the theme and look very cool. The cloud lift baseline that creates the feet is a clever way to work in that detail and make a functional result. Very, very nice.

Jeff Nicol
12-07-2009, 7:38 AM
Cody, I like the way this one turned out! Anyone would be proud to have it on there dresser or nightstand! I love the color combo with the mesquite and ebony.

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Cody Colston
12-07-2009, 9:42 AM
Thanks for the comments, all.

Bruce, the lock wasn't difficult. I chiseled out the half-mortise but next time I think I will use my trim router. Once the lower mechanism is in place, the lock pin can be set on it and the lid closed. There's little barbs on the lock pin plate that mark the lid and show where to place it. Then it's just a matter of making a shallow mortise in the lid to receive it.

John Thompson
12-07-2009, 1:37 PM
A beautiful box and unique to me as I have never seen one done in G & G style. Lots of detail on-board but... the way you oriented the ebony accents to appear as diamond shape in lieu of square is the difference on this piece between "excellent and "OUTSTANDING" IMO!

Extremely well done....

Cody Colston
12-07-2009, 2:04 PM
A beautiful box and unique to me as I have never seen one done in G & G style. Lots of detail on-board but... the way you oriented the ebony accents to appear as diamond shape in lieu of square is the difference on this piece between "excellent and "OUTSTANDING" IMO!

Extremely well done....

Thanks, John. I did think about the pegs before orienting them that way but I guess it's just the rebel in me...which is why I could probably never do period reproductions...I just feel the need to be different sometimes.

While G&G pegs run the gamut from round to square to rectangular, I've not seen any oriented in the fashion I used. But, it'll have to do. :cool:

Ed Sallee
12-07-2009, 2:49 PM
Beautiful! You captured the essence yet kept it very original. Excellent!

John Thompson
12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I've never seen them used that way either Cody but... I'm glad to see you take risk as this risk is a definite winner as I see it. I am also a risk taker as after doing this since 72'... the mechanics alone is not so much of a challenge anymore.

BTW... I also don't like to reproduce anymore. My decision on that probably came just after kids turned 13 and were formally teen-agers. :D Seriously... trying something your eye see's as an interesting approach is a big part of the fun of this hobby.

Regards....

Mark Valsi
12-07-2009, 10:51 PM
to my eye, the boards are too thick and the proportions are off.

I like the idea of a G & G box, your next one will be much better !!

John Keeton
12-08-2009, 6:43 AM
...but I guess it's just the rebel in me...which is why I could probably never do period reproductions...I just feel the need to be different sometimes.

I've never seen them used that way either Cody but... I'm glad to see you take risk as this risk is a definite winner as I see it...
Two men after my own heart!! I think I sense the beginnings of a rebel confederacy - the RWC (Rebel Woodworkers Confederacy) I will see if I can get some cards printed up and we can discuss officer elections at the next meeting!:D

Gene Howe
12-08-2009, 8:55 AM
Very nice, Cody. All the elements work very well.
Inspirational work!
Gene

Cody Colston
12-08-2009, 9:05 AM
to my eye, the boards are too thick and the proportions are off.

I like the idea of a G & G box, your next one will be much better !!

Thanks for the input, Mark. I appreciate the honest critique.

John Thompson
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Two men after my own heart!! I think I sense the beginnings of a rebel confederacy - the RWC (Rebel Woodworkers Confederacy) I will see if I can get some cards printed up and we can discuss officer elections at the next meeting!:D

Just print the card data on the label of some of that Kentucky bourbon JK! I can bring some vidalia onions.. black eyed peas and cornbread to the meeting and Cody has us covered with authentic Texas chili..

Oh yeah... never mind the bourbon as I forgot I quit drinkin' bout 30 years ago. Then again.. that's no excuse to turn down Kentucky bourbon is it? :)

Regards for the holidays to you and yours...

Cody Colston
12-08-2009, 2:16 PM
Just print the card data on the label of some of that Kentucky bourbon JK! I can bring some vidalia onions.. black eyed peas and cornbread to the meeting and Cody has us covered with authentic Texas chili..

Oh yeah... never mind the bourbon as I forgot I quit drinkin' bout 30 years ago. Then again.. that's no excuse to turn down Kentucky bourbon is it? :)

Regards for the holidays to you and yours...

I don't drink, either, but I can sure tear up a mess of black-eyed peas, cornbread and Vidalia sweet onions. That's standard New Year's Day fare around here.

Merry Christmas to y'all, too. :)

Brent Ring
12-08-2009, 2:22 PM
Really Nice Work - You have inspired another project - sometome down the road.

John Keeton
12-08-2009, 3:52 PM
Oh yeah... never mind the bourbon as I forgot I quit drinkin' bout 30 years ago.

I don't drink, either, but I can sure tear up a mess of black-eyed peas, cornbread and Vidalia sweet onions. That's standard New Year's Day fare around here.
Well, I don't drink Bourbon either (would admit to a glass of cheap wine every now and then!;)), so I guess I will just have to bring a big ol' pot of the wife's burgoo! I can't guarantee what is in it - sorta depends on what has died recently:eek:, but I can attest that it is fantastic stuff!

Sounds like a party in the makin'!:D

Merry Christmas to the rest of you'uns!!:)

Tom Sontag
12-08-2009, 8:57 PM
I hope I am not too late to chime in Cody. I like the way you combined all those interesting elements to make a beautiful artistic piece. Well done!

Cody Colston
12-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Never too late, Tom. Thanks for the comments.