PDA

View Full Version : OT- LCD monitors...

Chuck Wintle
12-06-2009, 6:28 PM
I am in the market for a new wide screen monitor and the choice and price range is vast. Between all the different makes, models, specs and prices i cannot decide. Which brands are worth looking at and which ones should be avoided? :D

Curt Harms
12-06-2009, 7:26 PM
I got a 22" Westinghouse cheap. it works okay but the power switch is a flat touch spot that may or may not work the first time. I've had to unplug and replug to be able to turn it off, rather than staying in standby with the power light flashing. I would not buy it again. When Circuit City was still with us, I was looking at HP monitors. They were gorgeous--glossy fascias & glossy glass. It seemed like the shiny glass would be a problem though. The fluorescent lights above the monitors were as clear and well defined reflecting off the monitor glass as they were looking straight at them. There are graphics people here than can talk about color accuracy and such, I cannot.

Dennis McGarry
12-06-2009, 7:41 PM
Go 22" or bigger, period.

5ms response time is great, unless you are a hardcore gamer or are going to us it for HD movie watching, then 2ms response time.

Basicly now, you can just shop price, buy local, or Newegg, if you get a dead pixel return it.

Scott Shepherd
12-06-2009, 7:46 PM
Also make sure your video card supports the wide screen. We bought one, couldn't get it to do anything but stretch the normal screen. No drivers available from anywhere to update it. Worked and worked on it, determined to not let it beat me.

It beat me.

Bought a video card that supported widescreeen. Plugged it in, worked like a champ. So my $129 monitor ended up costing me almost $200 :)

Chuck Wintle
12-06-2009, 8:14 PM
Also make sure your video card supports the wide screen. We bought one, couldn't get it to do anything but stretch the normal screen. No drivers available from anywhere to update it. Worked and worked on it, determined to not let it beat me.

It beat me.

Bought a video card that supported widescreen. Plugged it in, worked like a champ. So my $129 monitor ended up costing me almost $200 :)

I know my video card will support a wider monitor.

Jim Becker
12-06-2009, 9:12 PM
Charles, I've been using a 22" Dell for a couple years and really have enjoyed it. I don't do "full screen" application windows and having the extra real estate allows for keeping various things I'm multi-tasking visible at all times. If anything, I'd go bigger in the future.

Hopefully, your video card also supports digital connection as that makes LCD viewing even a greater pleasure.

Dennis McGarry
12-06-2009, 9:19 PM
Sorry should have mentioned that as well.

BUT if your vid card is newer then 5 years, odds are it has the ability to go widescreen, 6 year old radeon 95xx series do it and most since that time frame have a dvi connector as well as the standered vga..

If not then a new card will run you around 45.00 for a entry level pci-e or agp with dvi out..

Dave Lehnert
12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
So how do I check to see if my video card will support a wide screen?

Typing this on my desktop I have not used in about 6 months. Seems like the keyboard buttons are 3 feet wide each. LOL!!!

Bruce Page
12-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I have a HPw2207 that I'm happy with. As I recall it wasn't too expensive.

Dennis McGarry
12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
So how do I check to see if my video card will support a wide screen?

Typing this on my desktop I have not used in about 6 months. Seems like the keyboard buttons are 3 feet wide each. LOL!!!

Look up the video card specs, or post here what video card you have in it.

Also a easy way is look at the back of the card, if it has two connectors on it, either two dvi or a dvi and a vga it will for sure.

But let me know the card type and I will let you know.

To find out the type, right click on my computer, then click on properties, in the dialog that opens up click on the hardware tab, then in the list below, click on the video display adapter listing, (second one down) and tell me what is listed under there..

Scott Hildenbrand
12-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I've got a 19" standard dell beside a 22" widescreen Hanns-G... Nice combination.

If you're looking on the cheap, hit the Dell Outlet. It's the only way I buy comps anymore.

LOVE the 22" WS monitor.. Lots of viewing area.

Pat Germain
12-07-2009, 1:43 PM
You can't go wrong with a Samsung. Years ago I supported an Air Force base which was going to buy hundreds of new monitors. We arranged a "bake off" for monitors. This was when the LCD monitors were somewhat new. We had very high end monitors all the way down to very cheap examples. Samsung won hands down which surprised almost everyone.

Where I currently work, we have over 200 Samsung LCD monitors. Many of them have been going nonstop, 24/7, for over five years and they still look good. (I'm currently looking at one of them.)

Craig Fales
12-07-2009, 5:48 PM
I have a 19" Samsung monitor that has been great. Soon I want to upgrade to a 28" one. I'll probably go with an HP or another Samsung.

Steve knight
12-08-2009, 1:48 AM
I bought one of these guys. a decent enough monitor for the price 25"
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Hannspree+-+25%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+HD+Monitor/9218731.p?id=1218061080695&skuId=9218731

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2010, 6:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions on which monitor to buy. I finally decided on a Samsung P2370. It's a 23 inch widescreen which is a huge improvement over my old monitor. :D:D