PDA

View Full Version : Plane Identification

Mike Olson
12-06-2009, 5:13 PM
So I bought my first used plane today at antique world. it was $30 and i think it was a pretty good deal. Next on my list is a 1/4" plough plane but i couldn't find any under $100 at this place.

So anybody know the maker of this? all it says is Made in USA. The nicker was really neat which is why i got this one.

Also, i have been looking for a Disston saw for a while, and shockingly the only one i found in the whole place was painted, i looked at it closely and it was very pitted so i wouldn't have bought it anyway.

harry strasil
12-06-2009, 6:47 PM
its almost a dupe of a stanley 78 except for the horn on the front, as soon as iron planes came out, people started to cast their own from the original. as well as being duplicated by other companies with minor changes.

Bob Barkto
12-06-2009, 7:10 PM
The horn was a unique feature on the Sargent 79 duplex rabbet plane, a copy of the Stanley 78.

Yours is a later model.
Earlier models would have had Sargent cast into the handle and a more ornately curved side with some scroll work thrown in. The nicker is also different, the earlier models used the same 3 bladed type as found on Stanley, Union and Millers Falls.

They also produced these for retailers like Sears and some hardware chains.

Mike Henderson
12-06-2009, 7:14 PM
And it has both the depth gauge and the fence. One or both often seem to be missing from old 78's. Good buy!

Mike

David Gendron
12-06-2009, 8:15 PM
What is the reason for the two frogs on the 78's?

harry strasil
12-06-2009, 8:18 PM
Normal and Bull Nose! You switch the blade. The front thin bull nose end is often broken.

I bought a broken one like that for a dollar with the express idea of making it into a Glue Scraper plane.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/chiselplane001.jpg

Sam Takeuchi
12-06-2009, 8:20 PM
Front one is for bullnose and the other one is for regular work.

Mike Olson
12-06-2009, 10:16 PM
I think Bob is right. I just got finished doing some cleaning and sharpening of the Blade. Craftsman is etched on the blade itself. thats the only marking on it. so it either has a replacement blade or as Bob said it's a Sargent 79 made for Sears. I also noticed on the side opposite the Made in USA marking, there is a slightly raised area where a maker name Should have been. it wasn't ground off, as the japanning is still there.

Only bad thing i have found is that the screw holding on the dept guage seems to be a replacement as I can't screw it down all the way. Should be a simple enough thing to replace.

It appears I now have 2 sears planes... The one my father bought me new 20 years ago "says made in England" and now this one.

Thanks for your help in figuring out the maker.
Mike