PDA

View Full Version : Hinge Finish Dilema

Bob Winkler
10-05-2004, 2:55 PM
I building the NYW cherry jewelry box and have a problem. Although Norm's design calls for wood knobs and brass hinge, I want to use brushed nickel knobs and hinge. I think the nickel would look good against the natural cherry.

My problem is that although finding the knobs is no problem, I can't find any high quality non-brass hinge. I want a good quality extruded hinge, but can find them in shiny brass.:( I'm not sure that would look too good with nickel knobs.

Any ideas or sources of hardware that I missed?

Bob

Jim Becker
10-05-2004, 6:01 PM
Bob, check at http://www.thehardwarehut.com/cabinet_hinges.php to see if they have anything small enough...that's the real issue with this project, the hinges need to be quite small. Brass is fine and vitually all quality hinges are made of brass...it's the finish that counts. For example, all the hinges in my kitchen renovation are brushed nickel finished extruded brass from Deltana. Also check Lee Valley as they have a huge hardware selection.

When I built this project, (it's a great one, too!) I went with the recommended hinges from Rockler, but wouldn't hesitate to look around. Unfortunately, as I said above, the choices are tough in the small sizes. The only deviation I made from the plans is to use 1/4" solid stock for the rear panel instead of plywood and to build dividers in the drawers with 1/8" thick ash.

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2004, 6:19 PM
Bob --

Horton Brass has what I think you want. http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/hinges/butthinges/44

Jamie

Todd Burch
10-05-2004, 8:26 PM
I use the precision butt hinges from Horton Brasses. PB409B. PB=precision brass, 409 = the size I use (1.5" x 2.5") and "B" = ball tip. I get them in the black brass finish (not shown in picture). I forogt they offered nickel - thanks Jamie.

When (if) you order, they'll send brass slotted screws by default. If you want philips, you have to ask, but they don't cost extra. I pilot with a #3 or #5 Vix bit, depending on the hardness of the wood.

You'll like their knobs too. They are solid brass and use a #10 machine screw instead of a #8.

Todd