PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Couldron or Goblet ?

David Newson
12-06-2009, 1:21 PM
Just completed this piece its made of Yew, it was part turned and part carved and a lot of hand sanding to finish and complete.

The tools I used for the carved part was Proxon longneck grinder fitted with a Abortec tungsten tip blade, which removed the bulk of the wood, Dremel with flexible shaft fitted with a small burr used for profiling the opening, Fordom fitted with a large burr used for final shaping.

David E Keller
12-06-2009, 1:29 PM
Very cool... I really like the small v opening at the top of the stem. Pretty wood and finish as well.

Brian George
12-06-2009, 2:04 PM
That is fantastic! Beautiful finish ...

kenneth walker
12-06-2009, 2:55 PM
Very cool love it.

charlie knighton
12-06-2009, 4:13 PM
very nice....

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2009, 4:34 PM
David - is this for your open competition at the club? Looks great! Cool idea for the stem! Must have taken quite awhile to sand everything! Great looking finish!

alex carey
12-06-2009, 4:59 PM
Thats pretty sweet and looks quite complicated.

art san jr
12-06-2009, 6:33 PM
Hi David,

Beautiful, very original. I'm motivated to get cracking.

Thanks for showing.

Art.

Bill Bolen
12-06-2009, 6:54 PM
Beautiful piece! I can imagine how much work went into the carving of the stem....Bill...

Clara Koss
12-06-2009, 6:59 PM
nice piece artsy without being weird...:)

Kenneth Whiting
12-06-2009, 8:07 PM
That's pretty neat, David. I like it.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2009, 8:49 PM
Really nice looking goblet. Nice form and finish looks great.

ROY DICK
12-06-2009, 9:02 PM
You, being the artist on what is a beautiful piece, may call it what you want to.
Very nice indeed.

Roy

David Newson
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM
David - is this for your open competition at the club? Looks great! Cool idea for the stem! Must have taken quite awhile to sand everything! Great looking finish!

Hi Steve, Yes it was the piece I done for our club open competition, it only got me a 3rd placing, but now I'm in the advanced section life has all of a sudden got much tougher, I must try harder in the next one which is not until March, so I've got time to practice more, and do a trial piece which is a natural edge vase or bowl not sure which.

Regarding the making of the Couldron or Goblet ? being that I have never made anything like it before, the hardest part was planning where to start and finish the turning part,and then carving part did not really go as I had drawn it, I then decided to let the wood that was left dictate the shape of the stems angle etc, at this stage I initially started to think that this project was out of my comfort zone and I would not be able to complete it, but after throwing caution to the wind and starting carving again, I was pleasantly surprised it was no near as difficult as I imagined it to be,and I would encourage any turner that's not tried anything like this before to have a go its certainly not as difficult as it looks.

And thanks for everyone's comments it most appreciated as always.

Tim Browne
12-09-2009, 7:51 AM
Absolutely beautiful! I especially like the shape of the bowl.