PDA

View Full Version : sharpening this scraper?

Marty Weatherup
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
My dad, through the course of his auction going, finds deals on old chisels and other woodworking tools from time to time. In his last package to me he sent a large number of older chisels but also this L.S. Starrett scraper. I have seen them but never used them and am curious about sharpening them. I assume they are sharpened like a card scraper but could use some advice. In it's current condition the edge doesn't even make a good glue scraper. Thanks.

Marty

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/mart-photo/IMG_0510Small.jpg

george wilson
12-06-2009, 5:11 PM
Doesn't it have an original edge to copy? I'd just sharpen it on an angle to make 1 cutting edge in the direction you pull it. You could make the angular edge,and put a burr on it,too.

Don Rogers
12-06-2009, 5:47 PM
Marty,

I have one just like it but it did not have a blade. I finally found a similar tool at Lee Valley and ordered the steel replacement blade for it. You can find detailed sharpening instructions at: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,310&p=45784

The replacement blade I purchased came with a wood dowel shaped handel to protect your hands when using it.

Other than trying it out, I have not used it but know it will come in handy some day.

DonR

Don Rogers
12-06-2009, 6:49 PM
Marty,

I was in a hurry when I answered your post (dinner was ready) and left out some information you may want to know.

The Lee Valley 3" x 3" steel blade has a 9/16" x 3/8" rectangular hole whereas my Starrett scraper has a 5/16" x 1/2" boss to lock in the blade. It is a loose fit but will still prevent the blade from turning during use. Seems like the dowel pin type handle on the blade will be in use most of the time during scraping which would prevent the blade from rotating anyway.

Your blade is probably the original and, if so, I would guess that the rectangular blade hole to boss fit is much closer.

Your picture does not show a blade handle but you may want to make one to protect your hand.

This scraper is a heavy duty tool and will be useful in many ways.

DonR