PDA

View Full Version : Gloat... Under a $1/lb.

Eric DeSilva
12-06-2009, 1:24 AM
Just brought this home on a rather nasty snowy day. It's a 388 lb. Bridgewood mortiser. I picked it up for $350, so I'm under a dollar per pound, not even including the full set of mostly never used PM hollow mortise chisels thrown in. I'm pretty impressed with this thing so far. It has dovetailed ways for left/right and forward/back movement and stops for all directions. The horizontal ways had a bit of play, but there is a really easy adjustment to fix that. Did a little clean up, replaced the plug to be compatible with the 220V plugs I use and it runs like a champ.

Rick Fisher
12-06-2009, 5:49 AM
That is a good looking machine.. A floor model mortiser is a whole different machine than a benchtop..

I started with a jig on my drill press.. then a benchtop.. Then a floor model with the XY vice.. Its so much nicer and more capable.. Easier to use, and loads of power..

Does that Bridgewood have a 5/8" chuck or a 3/4" chuck ?

Mine has a 3/4" and I had about 12 bits, 5/8" diameter.. lol.. I made a sleeve out of a piece of copper pipe..

BTW.. $350.00 is a steal for that machine.. Good for you. .

Harold Burrell
12-06-2009, 7:17 AM
Ahem...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But, methinks that deserves a "YOU SUCK!"

Peter Quinn
12-06-2009, 7:27 AM
Nice find Eric. Gotta love tools that come in under $1 per pound! Enjoy that.

As a side note, is that a JDS cyclone I see in the back ground of your picture? I'm considering one of those (3HP) for my shop and was wondering how they perform? It seems to be the only one short enough to work with the ceiling height in my basement shop.

Carroll Courtney
12-06-2009, 8:08 AM
Let me run outside and see if there is still snow on the ground---You Suck----Carroll

Jim Kountz
12-06-2009, 9:24 AM
Wow did the police show up at your door yet? Usually when someone STEALS something they tend to arrest said individual!! Nice gloat and thats one heck of a tool there!!

Mike Cruz
12-06-2009, 9:34 AM
Nice find! Glad to see a local with a gloat. Was that on CL? I seem to remember a bunch of nice equipment on CL your way recently. Hey, there is an edgebander not far from you....

Congrats!

Paul Greathouse
12-06-2009, 9:43 AM
Nice mortiser Eric, I only wish I could find more quality used tools close to me. I picked up a Delta shaper last year but haven't found anything good since then. I'm a fairly regular Craigslist and Ebay watcher.

Eric DeSilva
12-06-2009, 9:54 AM
Does that Bridgewood have a 5/8" chuck or a 3/4" chuck ?

It came with collets for both. The guy had everything it originally was delivered with, including the manuals and the three open end wrenches.

As a side note, is that a JDS cyclone I see in the back ground of your picture? I'm considering one of those (3HP) for my shop and was wondering how they perform? It seems to be the only one short enough to work with the ceiling height in my basement shop.

Yes, it's a JDS. I've been pretty happy with it, although I don't have much basis for comparison, since it is the only cyclone I've owned. Judging from the fineness of the dust in the small bag, it is doing its job of separating things and it moves a lot of air. The big bag fills up a lot faster than you would expect, however, and it is a bit of a pain to pull the bucket out from underneath. Were I to do this again, I think that issue would be solved by putting small spacers under the feet--just a 1/2" would ease things a bit. If I were starting from scratch again, I'd also put loctite on all the assembly nuts or use the nylock ones. Over time, they have started to vibrate themselves loose. You will definitely need at least two people to set it upright. I was impressed by the solidity of the construction, however.

Nice find! Glad to see a local with a gloat. Was that on CL? I seem to remember a bunch of nice equipment on CL your way recently. Hey, there is an edgebander not far from you...

Yup. He pulled the ad pretty quickly after I talked to him. I wanted to send the link to a friend and it was gone 5 minutes after I talked to him--it was probably up only an hour total. Funny thing is, it was the same guy I bought a PM 14" bandsaw from a couple years ago, and that was a good deal too.

It is sort of sad. I see a lot of cabinet shop equipment on the DC CL, but I think a lot of it is attributable to shops closing down due to the economy. I've seen the edgebander. There was also a $2.7K PM dual drum sander, a PM accu-router, etc. I could barely get 388 lbs down my stairs, so that is a bit much for my shop. If you are local, there were two ads yesterday I posted in D&D--a Veritas BU Jointer plane and a Festool router. Judging from the prices the Festools typically command, the latter seemed like a really good deal (OF1400 for $250).

Bruce Page
12-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Nice score. It looks brand new!

Mike Cruz
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Wait, did you put the Festool Router on CL, too? Saw one there...

Eric DeSilva
12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Wait, did you put the Festool Router on CL, too? Saw one there...

Nah, wasn't mine. I just posted a link to it in the SMC deals & discounts.

Aaron Berk
12-06-2009, 2:25 PM
Ahem...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But, methinks that deserves a "YOU SUCK!"

My thoughts exactly, I've been trying to get a good deal on a floor model for ages.