PDA

View Full Version : I want to make new tool handles

Doug W Swanson
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
I've got a few turning tools that I want to make bigger handles for. What's the best material for this?

Does it have to be one piece or can I use 2 pieces glued lengthwise?

Also, one of the tools I want to make a new handle for is a Sorby multi-tip tool. What's the best way to separate the handle from the shaft without too much hassle?

Thanks!
Doug

Ryan Baker
12-06-2009, 12:32 AM
For wood handles, pretty much any relatively strong hardwood works fine. Maple, Ash, Beech, Cherry, Purpleheart, Paduk, etc. -- pretty much whatever you like. A glue up will be fine.Be sure to add a ferrule and leave some wood between the ferrule and the tool.

Of course, there are also lot of other handle choices out there too (steel, aluminum, etc.). You can buy them or make your own. You can buy (or make) metal tool inserts for a wooden handle that use set screws to hold the tool so you can change them easily.

There are a lot of threads here about making handles. You might also want to check out the article on the Thompson Lathe Tools web site.

Sid Matheny
12-06-2009, 1:06 AM
Bob Hamilton has a nice video on making tool handles that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1B63CA4614ADFCFA

Sid

Steve Mawson
12-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I like to glue up contrasting woods like maple and walnut. But like the others said about any hardwood will work.

Greg Just
12-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I usually use maple or cherry with straight grain. The nice thing about making your own is that you can custom fit the diameter and length to you liking.