PDA

View Full Version : Small Box in Bubinga and Dichroic Glass

Ted Calver
12-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Made this one as a birthday gift for the Missus. 2-3/4" x 3-3/4" with a Dichroic glass inset. Two coats of Watco, buffed and Renaissance waxed. I cheated and used a Forstner bit to do most of the hollowing. My daughter fuses the glass for me. That Bubinga is hard stuff.

Norm Zax
12-06-2009, 7:17 AM
Nice box! The dichroic glass certainly gives it a sparkle. When can you two start selling those glass disks?

Dennis Ford
12-06-2009, 8:01 AM
Great work, its a beautiful box. Drilling the center is NOT cheating.

Bernie Weishapl
12-06-2009, 9:27 AM
Great looking box Ted. Glass sure does it. Drilling, well if it works use it.

Greg Just
12-06-2009, 9:32 AM
Beautiful box - love the contracting colors. With regards to drilling - I don't mind, except when I see the little hole left from the forstner bit. That's got to be turned out! Also, I taper the walls slightly so it doesn't look like a drill was used.

Kenneth Whiting
12-06-2009, 9:48 AM
Thats a nice box. I agree that drilling is not cheating. If it was, a drill chuck would not fit in the tailstock.:)

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Very nice work Ted! Great looking wood, form and just enough detail work to enhance the turning without overdoing it. Really like the glass insert - mostly the vibrant color and it's contrast with the wood!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2009, 12:32 PM
Ted, I really like the glass insert! It adds a lot of glow and sparkle to the little gem of a box! I have been saving some things along the same lines to add to turned things and now I have a good idea where to use them!

Great job,

Jeff

Bill Bolen
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
That's a fine piece Ted, Love the glass insert but like the tennon mount even better. That can be a tough spot to get a good finish sanding on. Your mount gives the whole piece a very professional feel...Bill..

David E Keller
12-06-2009, 1:33 PM
I love it. The wood is so rich looking, and the glass is such a nice contrast. I will be stealing this idea and passing it off as my own soon. Thanks for the inspiration.

art san jr
12-06-2009, 7:41 PM
Thanks Ted,

What Jeff said, "glow and sparkle". Nicely done.

Art.

Ted Calver
12-06-2009, 10:04 PM
David,
The dichroic glass came from ArtisticGlassStudio dot com in Edmond OK. If you check with Tim or Rebecca and tell them what you want, they might be able to hook you up.