PDA

View Full Version : Becoming ambidextrous

Jamie Straw
12-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Any tips on becoming ambidextrous, at this point specifically in between-center turning?? My brain seems to freeze when I try to reverse direction. Data: I'm very right-handed.

Thanks.

Ryan Baker
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Just get some practice wood and keep practicing. You WILL catch on before too long. I don't think there are really any shortcuts though.

Jamie Straw
12-05-2009, 11:56 PM
You WILL catch on before too long.

The "catch" part has been pretty easy.:D I don't remember having all that much of a problem during my 2-day class. Now that I'm home, >a month later, it seems tricky.

I'll go out tonight and cut up some friendlier practice wood.

Richard Madison
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM
As Ryan said, simply a matter of repetition to reprogram neural pathways and muscle memory. And as mentioned elsewhere and when, much easier for "lefties" who have already had a lifetime of adapting to a "righty" world. It takes a LOT of repetition for some of us, but eventually you will switch without noticing it.

Reed Gray
12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Actually, when you stop and think about it, it isn't your hands that are making the tool cut, it is you body. You hold the tool steady with your arms and hands, which are tucked in to your body which holds them still and steady, and your body moves, which moves the tool. The only thing you control right or left handed is tool angle. This is more so on straight cylinders, and a bit less so with turning beads and coves.

robo hippy

Jamie Straw
12-06-2009, 2:37 AM
Actually, when you stop and think about it, it isn't your hands that are making the tool cut, it is you body.
robo hippy

Good point, Reed, and one that tends to slip my mind. Must be time for a Raffan DVD session.

For the most part, do you righties keep the tool in the same hand, and just change the angle and direction? That comes fairly easy with the spindle gouge, but I keep thinking I need to change hands with the skew, yet that doesn't feel right either!

Last night in the shop was a blast, eveything flowed. Tonight, not so much, quite the opposite in fact. Time for zzzzzz's ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
12-06-2009, 7:43 AM
Jamie,

There will be days like that...some good...some not as good. but...with experience the ratio of better to good will go up dramatically.

Initially I as a rightie, I just flipped the tool over and went the other direction when using a skew. The problem is that close to the headstock I would run out of room trying to turn towards the tailstock.

Now I swap hands .....the tool goes in the other hand. I have to make a conscious effort to remember to ride the bevel. This holds true regardless of which tool I'm using.

Hang tough. Mileage will provide you with the answers you need.

Dennis Ford
12-06-2009, 7:59 AM
As previously posted, practice is the ticket. My suggestion is to use fresh cut hardwood branches (2" - 3" diameter), mount the whole thing and have fun with it. Try to relax and just peel the wood off. Getting tensed up over a tricky cut will almost guarantee a catch.

Greg Just
12-06-2009, 8:19 AM
I agree with Dennis - Practice! Once in awhile I will stand on the backside of the lathe to work the inside of a bowl, especially on dry wood.

Steve Schlumpf
12-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Jamie - I 100% agree with Reed on this!

I am right handed - extremely so - and had to figure out a way to be able to use the tools left-handed. I struggled with control until I remembered to quit using my arms and start using my whole body for tool control. Now I change hands and lock to tool to my body before starting a cut. Left handed is not as fast as cutting right - but it gets better each time I do it and I no longer try to cut everything right handed!

Jamie Straw
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks, everybody, having a chorus of "You can do it!" gives me a boost! :) Wine stoppers will arrive Monday or Tuesday, and it's practice, practice until then.

Josiah Bartlett
12-09-2009, 6:05 PM
I'm naturally ambidextrous, but I do have some differences between how I hold tools when doing things right versus left handed. I find that forcing myself to do it left handed for a while until it feels natural, then right handed until it feels natural, then switching back and forth gives me the most consistent results. Switching back and forth from the get-go seems to interfere with developing the muscle memory.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2009, 6:50 PM
Jamie practice is the key and Reed is right. I had a hard time for about a month when I started but the key is body control not hand control.

Joe Meirhaeghe
12-09-2009, 7:29 PM
Jamie practice is the key and Reed is right. I had a hard time for about a month when I started but the key is body control not hand control.
I have to agree with Bernie. Practice Practice Practice with body movement.
I too was VERY VERY right handed. Then I started being mentored by a lefty. Now I can switch back & forth moving my body like a dance.
Keep at it it will come to you and is well worth the time & effort to learn.

George Guadiane
12-10-2009, 4:03 AM
Any tips on becoming ambidextrous, at this point specifically in between-center turning?? My brain seems to freeze when I try to reverse direction. Data: I'm very right-handed.

Thanks.

Now, many will probably tell you that you can do pretty much anything as a right hander, that may be true for some.
Remember this joke?:
A passerby asks a guitar playing guy in the streets of NY, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
The reply; "Practice, man, PRACTICE."

Sadly, that's what it takes... I'm on the other end of the spectrum, VERY left handed. It took me a while to accomplish ANYTHING on the lathe with my right hand. At this point, some things now seem awkward left handed.

Vince Welch
12-10-2009, 9:29 AM
Jamie,
While it take much practice there are also many benifits to be able to turn left handed. One of the biggests benefits is being able to rough out a bowl and stand out of the way and to the side of where the chips are flying. There are huge benefits and with practice I can say your right handed skills and confidence will improve greatly. Sounds like you are on the right path.
Vince

Guy Germaine
12-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I'd give my right arm to be Ambidextrous!

Eric Jacobson
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
This is an interesting thread. I've been turning off and on for about a year now and I keep catching myself changing hands into what feels natural. I've been trying to stop myself because I thought it was a bad habit. But according to this thread, it is encouraged.

The 2 guys I took a class from never switched hands. Also, I've flipped through Raffin's beginning turning DVD and I never saw him change hands (maybe I missed it). So am I understanding this thread correctly, that it's okay to switch hands?