PDA

View Full Version : stable length?

Christopher Kanda
12-05-2009, 6:47 PM
newbe q, if I cut a 3/4" x 3/4" x 5' length of oak that is acclimated for a long time will it stay stable and keep its shape?

Frank Drew
12-05-2009, 6:59 PM
Does it have to? I'm not being a smartass, but it would help to know how you plan to use it; will it be incorporated into a stable structure, or will it just basically sit there, more or less unsupported and unrestrained? If the wood is dry it will most likely keep it's square corners but might not remain perfectly straight.

In other words, it's anybody's guess if any particular piece of wood will remain straight and true after machining with nothing else done to it, although some woods, of course, are more prone to warping than others. The saying about sycamore is that it will twist itself around your foot as you stand there!

Glen Butler
12-05-2009, 7:11 PM
I believe acclimated oak is quite stable, but there are so many factors at play on a piece of wood, there is no way to answer that. Simply ripping 3/4 off a 1x4 of oak could cause both pieces to crown. The way the wood was milled, the direction of the grain, the straightness of the grain, evidence of knots, the location, size, and orentation of said knots are all factors. Am curious though what a 3/4" x 3/4" x 5' length of oak would be used for. I usually through out stuff like that.

Scott T Smith
12-05-2009, 8:49 PM
newbe q, if I cut a 3/4" x 3/4" x 5' length of oak that is acclimated for a long time will it stay stable and keep its shape?

Chris, can you provide some more info to help us answer your question? In particular, what are you "cutting" this board from - a log, a much thicker board, a kiln dried thicker board, or ???

mike holden
12-06-2009, 9:46 AM
Chris,
Wood is a once-living object. Each piece is different, so the only way to find out is to cut it and see.
If there is enough surrounding wood, then cut it an eighth or a quarter inch oversize and let it sit for a couple weeks, then cut to finished size. This would be the safest way to approach it.
Wood will take up and release water, and therefore move, as long as it is in existence. Even a finish will only slow down the transfer of water, not eliminate it.
Just the nature of the material.
Mike

Christopher Kanda
12-06-2009, 12:29 PM
thanks for the input. I was thinking of making, for lack of a better description, a windmill frame for a decorative stand. I just wan't sure if the pieces were so narrow that they would need support more often then i would think. I am just in the thinking of the design at the moment so that is why the questionis so vague. I saw something at a home furnishing store in july that sparked my interest. I will try to post a pic of it later so this will make more sence. thank you to everyone!

Christopher Kanda
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM
here is a poor picture of what inspired my questions, it is just a stand with a ball on top.

Dan Forman
12-06-2009, 5:53 PM
If it's not bearing much weight, my "guess" is that it would be ok, but I'd use quarter sawn oak, and you might have to re-joint and plane after ripping it from your stock board, depending on the forces that might be pent up in the board. Once you have the stock cut, trued, and put together, if it does move due to moisture variations, it shouldn't be enough to cause problems. This advice is worth exactly as much as you paid for it. :D

Dan