PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Tool Holder for Woodlathe?

jim price
12-05-2009, 4:26 PM
I have a General Maxi Lathe and I love it... but I'd like to do some precision work with it; and wondered if anyone knows of an adjustable cutter holder that will fit on the General's bed... you know, one of those holders that has precision lead screws for adjustment on X - Y axes (in/out, and along the turning axis)?
I've seen lots of them for metal lathes but none for wood lathes. If there's no such thing, there should be, wouldn't you think?

Thanks
Jimbo

Scott Conners
12-05-2009, 5:48 PM
The piece you're looking for is called a cross-slide I believe. I'm no machinist, but I'm pretty sure you can buy one as an independent piece, and just make some sort of toggle block yourself, and use a wrench to tighten it in place. I think Paul Atkins may have a lathe that he uses a cross slide on, you might contact him.

Jeff Nicol
12-06-2009, 1:01 PM
I bought one from Wholesale tool and use it on my 12" swing lathe with a small riser to get it centered. I also use it for my box threading jig for the same lathe. It was $80 when I bought mine and is heavy and solid. You can get cheaper ones at HF, but they are junk! There are other companies that sell them or you could make one if you feel energetic! I have seen them made from hard wood and using some teflon or other plastic for the gibs so the slide easily.

Hope this help,

Jeff

Tom Steyer
12-06-2009, 1:19 PM
You can get these types of items at www.mscdirect.com

If you are not in a hurry, watch their sales - new ones almost every day.

Paul Atkins
12-07-2009, 1:45 PM
Did someone call my name? I have a couple of compounds used on the wood lathe. Both are Delta products. I've seen these on Ebay for a lot of money, but they are available. I have a cheapo vise for the drill press with X,Y adjustment and it is not very good. There just is too much slop in the Harbor Freight type that can't be adjusted well. The compound on my long lathe was modified to do cylinders mostly, and I can make pegs or poles all day long with 1-2 thousands accuracy. I have an ornamental router jig setup for it too, which I will detail in another thread. I was (am) going to make a box threading jig for the unmodified one in my unlimited spare time. I have set it up to do boring for accurate holes in the past.

jim price
12-11-2009, 8:12 PM
that's zactly what I'm talking about. The one in the second picture (on the right) looks most appealing to me. Home made? Linear bearing? Love the idea. Wonder if you could put a steady rest on the carriage and turn LONG tiny dowels??

Josiah Bartlett
12-12-2009, 12:57 AM
that's zactly what I'm talking about. The one in the second picture (on the right) looks most appealing to me. Home made? Linear bearing? Love the idea. Wonder if you could put a steady rest on the carriage and turn LONG tiny dowels??

I have an old jetlock fence rail that I think I'm going to mount to my lathe, and use the fine adjust tooth rack for a feed knob. The one on the right could make a copy attachment with a little modification.