PDA

View Full Version : OT - Front Door Strikeplate

Dan Stuewe
03-27-2003, 2:27 PM
So my wife wants big thick casings on all our doors downstairs. I don't mind since I think it will look good with the wainscot we are installing. One problem I have though is the strikeplate on the front door. The original (and from what I've seen, standard) strikeplate extends out a bit from the jamb and the original (and again pretty standard) colonial casing tucks behind it. That way when the door is closed, the latch doesn't damage the trim.

Anyway, we're replacing the 1/8" - 1/4" thick trim with a nice thick 1-1/8" casing. Has anyone seen a solution to this? bigger strikeplate? special metal edge???? Or is this a case of neccessity being the mother of invention?

(If you couldn't tell, we're designing and cutting most of our trim ourselves - see it is a bit "on-topic")

Thanks,

Jim Izat
03-27-2003, 3:35 PM
I think what I might try in this situation is to tack a small piece of the the thick casing in the appropriate location and determine how much of the thickness of the casing is impacted by the latch. I would then mortise thin brass (matching the type in the lockset) into the side of the permanent casing and secure it with epoxy. In my mind's eye, anyway, this sort of wear plate shouldn't be distracting to the overall appearance of the door. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that with such a thick casing the latch on the door may not make contact with the front edge of the casing. If it did, I might wrap the brass around the edge maybe a 1/4 inch in the same mortised fashion. I seem to remember seeing a similar set up in a restored victorian that had a matching brass plate backing up the lockset on the front door. The appearance was (to me) one of great solidity.

Jim Izat

Dar Lounsbury
03-27-2003, 7:45 PM
Most major lock hardware manufacturers make an 'extended' lip strike for just this purpose. I am sure it would have to be ordered rather than them having it in stock. A older, well established lockshop might have one left over from a previous job. This is not something you will find at big box stores.

Bruce Walton
03-27-2003, 8:32 PM
http://www.kwiklocks.com/kwiklocks/misc_hardware.html

This was found with a search using "door hardware" as the key words.

Knew they are made since my house has doors designed for 2x4 wall studs but the house was built with 2x6.

Jim Izat
03-27-2003, 8:44 PM
I think this link will work:

<a href="http://www.kwiklocks.com/kwiklocks/misc_hardware.html">Kwik Locks Miscellaneous Hardware</a>

Jim Izat

Dan Stuewe
03-28-2003, 11:56 AM
Thank you all for the great info (with links)!